Absolutely drooling...

Ukulele Eddie

Reaction score
I guess HMS is now carrying Collings and has one of my fantasy ukes in stock: the mahogany dog hair finish. I know the Doghair finish is not for everyone, but for some reason I just love it. Great pics here.

Fortunately, or rather unfortunately, I'm in no financial position to give in to my desires at this moment. But in time, dammit, in time!

Gotta admit it's a stunning looker. At $2,500 it's a few galaxies distant from my own home world.... but when I win the lottery....

The doghair Collings models are insane. This one is at least $200 to $300 cheaper than both Gryphon Stringed Instrument's and Artisan Guitar's current in-stock doghairs, too.

I just channeled the ghost of Johnny Cash's black guitar, and it said it reminds him of this...
image.jpg

I know it's best to keep quiet if you don't have anything nice to say, but maybe someone could shed some background on this motif. I could see a regular black finish, but is there a demand for this finish? What inspired it?

I know it's best to keep quiet if you don't have anything nice to say, but maybe someone could shed some background on this motif. I could see a regular black finish, but is there a demand for this finish? What inspired it?

As I understand it, it's not easy to do this type of finish well. There must be some demand for it, because Collings continues to offer it. But I said up front, I know for a lot / most folks, this finish does nothing for them.

I think its neat, almost like black denim.

I am left wondering, what makes an ukulele worth $2,000. How is it different from a $400 one if both are properly setup?

I think its neat, almost like black denim.

I am left wondering, what makes an ukulele worth $2,000. How is it different from a $400 one if both are properly setup?

a ukulele is only worth 2K if someone is willing to pay that much for it. there are, or Collings would stop offering them. I personally would not pay for this ukes extras, but wouldn't mind having one of their 'plain' ones. If the right used one comes along, I may someday.

The doghair Collings models are insane. This one is at least $200 to $300 cheaper than both Gryphon Stringed Instrument's and Artisan Guitar's current in-stock doghairs, too.

Hey Matt...you must know by now that HMS prices are usually the best..

and they do a setup if needed....but the Collings come in pretty nice so might not be needed...but Joel and Chris(and Andrew,Eli) will make sure for you

Amen on Collings ukes! Been considering ordering a doghair finished concert lately. My contact tells me their delivery is down to 2-3 months on custom orders, and, being lefthanded I'd rather not lay out Collings-size cash for an off-the-shelf righthanded uke. It would be nice to have a mahogany instrument to go with the koa I have...... Very, very fine ukuleles!

Amen on Collings ukes! Been considering ordering a doghair finished concert lately. My contact tells me their delivery is down to 2-3 months on custom orders, and, being lefthanded I'd rather not lay out Collings-size cash for an off-the-shelf righthanded uke. It would be nice to have a mahogany instrument to go with the koa I have...... Very, very fine ukuleles!

wow the Doghair and Sunburst Collings Concerts already sold....

just for my info....did the Collings guys tell you that you need a custom uke if you want to play it left handed?
do they shape the headstock special for a lefty? the opposite way than regular.....

Last edited:

Their sales have definitely slowed after the price increase last year. Still worth every penny. I've spent thousands upon thousands of dollars on ukes the last four years and these are top shelf. Wish they would introduce a soprano, though. Hey Len, believe me I know HMS is the best, which is what I was trying to convey albeit not explicitly enough. Haha. Not surprised in the least that those two are already gone.

I don't believe the headstock slant is changed on a left handed ukulele from Collings, no. However.......ordering it left handed from Austin does get the dot markers on the correct side of the neck, the nut is cut properly and the saddle is compensated for left handed stringing........all major points. And it opens other options as well. I specified a two-piece bookmatched top and back and a full body sunburst finish on the UK3 C I ordered and finally landed a year ago this month after a 9 month wait. Delivery times have come way down.............

IMG_0911.jpg

I don't believe the headstock slant is changed on a left handed ukulele from Collings, no. However.......ordering it left handed from Austin does get the dot markers on the correct side of the neck, the nut is cut properly and the saddle is compensated for left handed stringing........all major points. And it opens other options as well. I specified a two-piece bookmatched top and back and a full body sunburst finish on the UK3 C I ordered and finally landed a year ago this month after a 9 month wait. Delivery times have come way down.............

View attachment 66143

that is good enough reason for me.....

never thought about the side markers....Thanks
i learn something every day....ask them too switch the headstock..i don't think that hard.....unless they use CNC...then might be a pain

his last batch of Collings were sold within week the Tangerine sunburst sold in less than a day...

his last batch of Collings were sold within week the Tangerine sunburst sold in less than a day...

That was before the price increase. These will be around longer. They used to fly outta Gryphon and Artisan and Acoustic Music Works before they upped the prices. That's when only the savvy buyers gobbled them up :cool: Like I said I still think they not only reach, but surpass their overall value in terms of price slash quality. They're immaculate best-buys.

That was before the price increase. These will be around longer. They used to fly outta Gryphon and Artisan and Acoustic Music Works before they upped the prices. That's when only the savvy buyers gobbled them up :cool: Like I said I still think they not only reach, but surpass their overall value in terms of price slash quality. They're immaculate best-buys.

Hey Matt did you miss them...the last batch was there 2 weeks ago...there was 6 or 7 of them

Top Bottom