Bridge Beads

drmosser

Reaction score
I just wanted to share my experience with the use of beads for stringing ukuleles. I had good luck stringing non-wound strings onto most ukuleles by just using small glass beads. However, the wound strings proved a challenge. I lost two wound strings on my baritone due to the wire wrapping just unraveling and then the string would pull through the bead and continue to unwind destroying the string. I've come to the conclusion that wound strings just don't respond well to knotting that might pinch or break the metal wire wrapping of the string.

So I gave some specialty bridge beads a try. I purchased mine from a seller on eBay and they are called Diamond Bridge Beads. They are made by a company called Rosette Guitar Products and look like they were originally designed for classical guitars. I bought some of these being sold as a ukulele set to give them a try. So far they are working great for all strings on my Mainland Red Cedar Baritone. I don't know that these make string changes any quicker, but they sure make it easier than trying to cinch down a stiff wound string onto the bridge.

I did contact the eBay seller and he verified that the bridge beads in the "ukulele" set are the same size as those being sold as the ones for use with "classical guitars". You get 7 beads in the packet of the ones sold for guitars while you only get 5 beads per packet for the ukulele set (1 for each string, plus an extra). The guitar sets were a little less expensive per bead, so I ordered a few more guitar sets so I will have enough to string multiple ukes. I just received the guitar bead sets and, indeed, the beads are the exact same dimensions as the ones in the ukulele set. I find these bridge beads to be an elegant product that performs as claimed. I only wish they came in colors, not just black and white. An amber color would be nice to match the tuner pegs on my baritone. :)

dr, we've had those in stock since late last year - we're still trying to get the website revised, and when it does we'll have the 5-packs for sale.

We're also the only ones with 3 colors. No amber, but two flavors of white - Pure White (matches new bleached bone and tusq), and Natural White (matches vintage and unbleached bone).

I acquired a uke from a UU member who had strung it using bridge beads. When I went looking for them I was disappointed in the lack if colors available. I'm about to get in gear to drill some of my own, in a variety if colors. Still looking around for the right "flat" rectangle beads to work with but, have a bunch of bone and horn that I'm going to give a try.

Every now and then someone comes up with something that is not only cool looking, but functional. These look like both. Thanks for posting!

These are great for securing strings inside ukes with a through-bridge. It allows you to try out strings, take them off and use on another uke. Bridge Bone beads are way better than a knotted string with a common bead.

I've got some and like the appearance and functionality of them. Secure and no slippage at all.

Has anyone tried these on a Banjolele? With my instrument you tie a knot in the end of the string and pull it through the tailpiece to secure it to the end. Since I'm using the Aquila wound C Banjolele strings I'm afraid of the knot causing the wire break and unravel. I'm just curious if these would be a good alternative.

dr, we've had those in stock since late last year - we're still trying to get the website revised, and when it does we'll have the 5-packs for sale.

I just ordered a couple of sets of strings and wish your website hadn't said the beads were out of stock! I have them on my Mainland concert. They work and look good.

I have been using the bone beads for some time, they were from the same ebay seller before they have the recent diamond model. I enjoy using the beads, they made convenient string changing. In tone wise, I haven't compare. Can someone share about any tone effect?

I've used Southcoast bridge beads for a couple of years on all my Ike's, and like them a lot.

I simply went to the local dollar store and bought packages of glass craft beads. Cost me about $2 for more beads than I'll ever use in a lifetime. Smaller though: you have to tie a knot at the end to keep them firmly pressed against the bridge. I tried some bigger beads but found they sometimes rattled and buzzed against the top.

I guess these wouldn't work well for double courses, ie my 5 string. I'd like to try them on my others though.

I guess these wouldn't work well for double courses, ie my 5 string. I'd like to try them on my others though.
They don't work well on double courses simply because of size. It would be great if they were sized to accommodate them and wouldn't hesitate to use em.

Top Bottom