'UKULELE--Hawaii's Official State Instrument

Moore Bettah Ukuleles

Reaction score
The vote just came in. Not that it really means anything but still pretty cool. I just received this email from my state rep. Surprisingly, there was a lot of support for the steel guitar.

Aloha Chuck,

Thank you for taking the time to write to express your thoughts and support for bill SB 3107 and HB 2573: Relating to the State Instrument supporting the ukulele becoming the Hawaii state instrument.
At first I voted no, in opposition of SB 3107 and HB 2573 due to initial testimony referencing the steel guitar. But, after receiving your email as well as hundreds of others in support, I have changed my vote to a yes. The overwhelming support for the ukulele was undeniable.

Thank you so much for expressing your concerns. Feel free to call should you have any questions or any further input. I appreciate you contacting my office and having your voice be heard.

Mahalo,
Representative Lauren Cheape Matsumoto
http://www.repmatsumoto.com/

415 S. Beretania St., Room 303
Honolulu, HI 96813
(808) 586-9490

YAY!!! I like the steel guitar (and have a friend that insists it is the only "true" Hawaiian instrument) but, the ukulele, despite not being native to Hawaii, seems so symbolic of the state. I'm glad to see the Hawaii State Legislature decided in favor of the uke.

That is so cool Chuck that you wrote to your legislator on behalf of the instrument...and even cooler still that your State Representative wrote back to you. :)

I think it's cool. Alabama doesn't have a state instrument, that I know of.

YAY!!! I like the steel guitar (and have a friend that insists it is the only "true" Hawaiian instrument) but, the ukulele, despite not being native to Hawaii, seems so symbolic of the state. I'm glad to see the Hawaii State Legislature decided in favor of the uke.

That is so cool Chuck that you wrote to your legislator on behalf of the instrument...and even cooler still that your State Representative wrote back to you. :)

Agree.......

It appears that only seven states (eight now, with Hawaii) have official state instruments. Four of those seven are the "fiddle"....

The ukulele became a Hawaiian instrument once it was being built here and went through all of it transmogrifications. Before then it was something else.
I actually wrote a few letters. One rep immediately wrote me back, said he was a fan and that he'd do all he could to push this bill through. I never thought politicians read these letters so I was surprised to say the least.

The ukulele became a Hawaiian instrument once it was being built here and went through all of it transmogrifications. Before then it was something else.
I actually wrote a few letters. One rep immediately wrote me back, said he was a fan and that he'd do all he could to push this bill through. I never thought politicians read these letters so I was surprised to say the least.

Hey...when the Great Chuck Moore speaks,everyone listens........ :)

Hey...when the Great Chuck Moore speaks,everyone listens........ :)

Not hardly. I signed my name Len.
Honestly I felt a little bad for taking up their time with such a trivial matter. Apparently a lot of people thought it was important. It made the front page of our newspaper this morning.

Not hardly. I signed my name Len.
Honestly I felt a little bad for taking up their time with such a trivial matter. Apparently a lot of people thought it was important. It made the front page of our newspaper this morning.

Haha...that is a good one..Aloha for the help....
yours truly,Chuck.... :)

Congratulations Chuck, and to all Hawaii.

Symbols are not always trivial, and a unique culture like yours deserves to celebrate itself.

I would vote for the "Night of the Peacock" Moore Bettah as the actual symbol.

Mahalo Chuck!! It's nice to see that the voice of the people is heard and our political system works!

Congrats! Glad to see the State of Hawaii has officially embraced a huge part of its musical and cultural heritage.

Happy to see that the jumping flea has finally become official! It was high time! And just in time for my Feb. 2015 trip to Hawaii!!! :cool:

Petey

Way to go Chuckie, I had not known or was I not aware about these bills...I would have also written to them too in support for the ukulele too....
"MAKIN' THINGS ALOT MOORE BETTAH" ...... YOU DA MAN :)

This brings up some interesting design possibilities for vanity license plates. Congrats to all Hawaii residents!

Top Bottom