Does a tap tone test predict how a uke will sound when built?

Vespa Bob

Reaction score
I am building a soprano uke (Favilla clone) using Honduran mahogany. The wood is very light and has an open grain, unlike the mahogany I've used before. When tapping it, it gives out a dull thud, not melodious ring. Does that mean that the uke is going to sound lousy? Or will it improve once the wood is sealed and finished? I'm still at the clueless stage of uke building, so forgive me if I have no idea what I'm talking about!

Cheers,

Bob

I've made very nice instruments out of wood that tapped out like cardboard. I'm not a believer. Keep going, I bet it'll be fine.

I agree with John, tapping wood has no benefit for me. Any wood that is dired to 6% moisture content, should ring a bit, but maybe not.

Tapping on wood is misunderstood by nearly everyone, and those who find utility in it often find their use differently. Mostly it is about integrity for me. When the wood is thick and strong the integrity is as good as it can be and the tap can tell me something. As it is thinned the pitch goes down and eventually the integrity is lost and it becomes cardboard like. It is asking for braces. Then the braces can be shaved down till it asks for braces again . . . Or until it doesn't quite, and the tap is full and rich, just as I want it.

Top Bottom