Get a grip - holding the uke

drewm

Reaction score
I've just begun learning on a soprano ukulele, but have a background with guitars and bass.

Working through the strumming part of the Summer Breeze lesson, I'm finding I can't keep up the rhythm because I have to keep stopping to adjust my grip so that I don't drop the uke.

With one hand strumming and the other playing chords, I've got nothing left keeping a firm hold of the instrument. If I rest it on my leg (seated) the neck is too low to be able to correctly drop my wrist and keep my fingers straight.

Any suggestions or tips on ukulele holding technique? Do I simply need a strap?

Thanks!

Drew.

in my uke class that im in right now, the teacher said to make sure the hole "goes through your chest" and use the crotch area of your elbow to put pressure against the uke and your chest. or you could simply get a strap. or better yet, make one! fred already made a tutorial to make your own uke/classical guitar strap similar to one that aldrine shows in the first uke minutes i believe.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=476

Another strap dilemma...

http://www.jumpingflea.com/productdetail/~Model/567~/d.html

I bought this nice looking uke strap but now I'm having second thoughts about putting a hole in my pretty uke. Can't seem to hold, strum and finger without nearly dropping the uke when I change chords..... but I'm just a beginner, maybe it will get easier. I think it might be harder for females to keep the uke pressed against the chest, if you know what I mean....
Think I might try the classical guitar strap as suggested.
Nice forum, good advice, thanks!

Thanks for the tips! I've found a retailer near me that stocks the classical style sling straps, so I think I'll give one of those a go.

I'll report back with my experiences.

IMG_0418.jpg

I use a mandolin strap on my ukes.

IMHO, those Jumping Flea straps are too large. There was someone selling similar leather straps on eBay. One guy bought them and the ukulele hung down to his waist!

Last edited:
the uke in the arm

it helps also if you hold the uke like its in the direction of the arm.

i also started holding the uke where the arm rest on the upper back; arm was direction down - this is normally a position if you sit.

if you try to put your arm straight to the fretboard; the middle back - like the uke shows i the same direction like the arm its better to play. the uke is a littel upper and so its better to play. but like everything you need a little practicing, too.

or..
ust eat a lot and a lot more...
so in a year you have a bigger front and you can rest the uke on it....
remember iz.... :p

I've just begun learning on a soprano ukulele, but have a background with guitars and bass.

Working through the strumming part of the Summer Breeze lesson, I'm finding I can't keep up the rhythm because I have to keep stopping to adjust my grip so that I don't drop the uke.

With one hand strumming and the other playing chords, I've got nothing left keeping a firm hold of the instrument. If I rest it on my leg (seated) the neck is too low to be able to correctly drop my wrist and keep my fingers straight.

Any suggestions or tips on ukulele holding technique? Do I simply need a strap?

Thanks!

Drew.
i hold it up with my forearm. I have some friends that are HUGE and they just place it on there bellies! :D

Another player i know did this you buy some adhesive ruber nonslip pads cut it to shape and stick it on the back side of the ukulele.

Me i gota big stomach so its fits snug between my gut and my arm.

Sometimes I practice strumming with my thumb and that leaves other
fingers spare to support the uke when I need to.

One problem I've heard about with round back Applause/Ovation ukes is that they slip off a lot. People have to use straps then. It's nice not to have to bother, though.

Another player i know did this you buy some adhesive ruber nonslip pads cut it to shape and stick it on the back side of the ukulele.

Me i gota big stomach so its fits snug between my gut and my arm.

John King uses the nonslip pad and big stomach approach to great effect.

video

You can get a sheet of it at the dollar store or Wal Mart.

Top Bottom