Votes: 3 9.1%
  • I like both

Votes: 21 63.6%

• Total voters

rayan

Ukulele Underground Staff
UU+
Reaction score
Which way do you prefer when trying to learn ukulele songs?

Which way do you prefer when trying to learn ukulele songs?

Somewhere tabs, somewhere videos. Both is best choice.. But I was grateful for eny help for my learning.

I think videos are better to learn from. Not only can you hear exactly how they are playing it you can see what they are doing and how they are attacking the strings.

However having both at the same time though makes learning a song MUCH easier... for me anyway. Though, if it were one or the other I would choose video. If it were video lesson and not just a performance video that's all you need.

Are you guys planning on making tabs too? :D:D

Clearly videos are easier to learn from, but I know the effort it takes to make a good one, so I like tabs too since you can make them a lot faster than a video.

I need both when it's a song I'm totally unfamiliar with. Without video, music notation works better than tabs. The most effective for me are tabs and video. Need to see & hear the strum pattern.

Last edited:
I need both when it's a song I'm totally unfamiliar with. Without video, music notation works better than tabs. The most effective for me are tabs and video. Need to see & hear the strum pattern.

You can read notes with your ukulele? I can't read more than one note at a time..

probably tabs, so you can change the strumming style up to your own preference.

video helps alot with positioning sound and timing after the video i often create a tab so if i get stuck i dont have to log onto my comp just to see whats wrong

in other words tabs help after a video for me

I like to see videos so that I can figure out how the song goes and the strum patterns (or how the particular person teaching it likes to play it), since most of the time, tabs leave out the rhythms. But for reference, I like to see tabs too, and they're great if I already know how the song goes.

Clearly videos are easier to learn from, but I know the effort it takes to make a good one, so I like tabs too since you can make them a lot faster than a video.

I think the part about being able to make tabs faster is misleading. Maybe so for just putting a few parts into a text editor but it takes just as much effort to create good complete tabs as it does to make videos. It is actually quicker to play the parts for the video. The time consuming thing is setting up the camera and doing the necessary editing etc.

The way I see it (meaning jack I'm sure:D), the whole goal is to have more people taking on and becoming proficient at playing. Videos are great as they show you the "real world" action in terms of playing. But sadly.....Aldrine can't make a video for every song we want to learn. I think this site has the underlying goal of building better musicians. My vote is for both for sure. But I can see the real importance of learning the tabs.

Top Bottom