Spare Mahogany put to use

Timbuck

Reaction score
I had an old Patio doorframe given a few months ago ..Not ideal for necks and body building ..I used some of it to make a load of neck/tail blocks and linings..and there was still plenty to spare and taking up space..So! today i put some of it to use and made this netting frame to keep the creepy crawers and butterflys off my prize cabbages ;)

Nicely built. I'm sorry to say this, but I hate to see mahogany used for anything not decorative or musical. It is such a precious wood. I know of one luthier quoted as saying he wishes that tone woods would sell for $200 per board foot to discourage furniture companies from cutting it into veniers.

Maybe you can use it for something else later.

Nicely built. I'm sorry to say this, but I hate to see mahogany used for anything not decorative or musical. It is such a precious wood. I know of one luthier quoted as saying he wishes that tone woods would sell for $200 per board foot to discourage furniture companies from cutting it into veniers.

Maybe you can use it for something else later.
Some mahogany timber is poor quality ...like most of this was ;)

Mahogany grows on trees.

I was speaking to a picture framer (and a very good one at that) yesterday, who has decided to pack it in, mainly because of the quality of the wood he gets to make the frames from. More and more he is trying to make frames from wood which is curved/twisted, and scraps more than he keeps. And the prices have rocketed too. He too blames the likes of oakfurnitureworld-r-us for soaking up vast quantities of timber.

I was speaking to a picture framer (and a very good one at that) yesterday, who has decided to pack it in, mainly because of the quality of the wood he gets to make the frames from. More and more he is trying to make frames from wood which is curved/twisted, and scraps more than he keeps. And the prices have rocketed too. He too blames the likes of oakfurnitureworld-r-us for soaking up vast quantities of timber.

This can only happen because there are vast quantities of people. Without addressing population growth all the conservation folks are just kidding themselves (and us).

Some mahogany timber is poor quality ...like most of this was ;)

I apologize if I started a ruckus over the wood. Im just a little paranoid about anything that might be a sound wood. I'm actually happy that the wood was at least good enough to use for your cover. I'd hate to see any wood just tossed. Repurposing is a good thing.

I look forward all year to your cabbage pictures Ken, thank you. Cabbages are much more important and impressive than ukuleles. Any half wit on this forum knows how to build an ukulele. But have you ever tried building a cabbage? It ain't easy,

The sad thing is, Ken's mahogany groundstakes probably still sound better than anything I'll ever build. :D

Top Bottom