Who's CRAZY about their COLLINGS mahogany tenor??

Teek

Reaction score
I've read the reviews and forum posts and watched all the videos I could find, but have only been able to play a UC-1 concert, however it was difficult to put it down and walk away.

Who loves their Collings mahogany tenor or concert and why specifically? Please compare to other high end 'hog ukes you own(ed). I'm looking at one to replace two other tenors and reduce and consolidate my herd, and it's a big purchase for me. If I don't bond with it and need to resell it I don't think I'd lose a ton, but my intention is to upgrade and downsize at the same time.

I need to make a decision soon, so thanks very much to anyone who takes a minute or two to post!

Also if anyone has a nice used UT-2 or UC-2 you want to sell, please PM me, thanks!

(Also anybody who was less than charmed, please tell me why as well).

Last edited:
Hi Teek,

Got a few mahoganies, all are excellent sounding. My UT2 SB looks similar to my Kinnard Mahogany SB slotted head. But of the two, I prefer the Kinnard. Both have great feel and playability, too. The Kinnard is a little more refined, smooth sound. Another great choice is a Boat Paddle. I've got a Kayak all mahogany tenor that may be the loudest uke I have, the only issue is its thicker neck. My Collings and Kinnard tenors are more playable in my opinion.

attachment.php

Last edited:
OK, this isn't exactly what you asked because I have a Collings UC-1K, it is neither a tenor nor a mahogany. And, I'm not CRAZY about it.

In some ways it is the most perfect ukulele that I own. Fit and finish are absolutely flawless. However, there are some aspects of it that I don't like. For one thing, and I've had this experience with a beautiful boutique guitar I once owned as well as some beautiful high end ukuleles, the distance between the top and bottom strings and the edge of the fret board is a tad too small for my taste. I have to be a bit careful to avoid having my finger pull the string off the edge. And the sound, which i experience as more Martin than Martin, in the sense that it captures for me the essence of a vintage Martin sound even better than the new Martins with better fit and finish.

I was deeply in love with the Collings when I first got it. I had played several Collings for several times at a local shop while I pondered buying one. When I played them in the shop I could not put them down. However, as sometimes happens, instead of growing more in love with it I've grown to love it less over time and have contemplated selling it. In some ways I miss the imperfections that my other ukes have. The extreme refinement of the Collings is oddly annoying to me. There is nothing wrong with the uke that I own, but for some irrational reason I am choosing others to play and liking it less and less. I can't exactly tell you why.

My recommendation would be to wait for a used one that you want. Then if you want to sell it you won't lose much, if anything.

I I were going to get another tenor any time soon I'd try a Kinnard over the Collings.

AWESOME detailed feedback Doc & Katy, thank you VERY much! That's what I was looking for. and I was also considering a concert. Yes too close to the edge would be as issue, I have a bari like that which is I feel is more problematic even than on a concert. Doc thanks for the photos too! :)

Teek, I've owned several Collings ukes, and currently own two. The only reason I have sold any of them in the past, is so that I can use the money to upgrade to a higher model Collings. I've not played a Kinnard, but have nearly bought one on several occasions based on the rave reviews and just how beautiful they look. However, I am more of a concert player, and I tend to like tenors that have a slightly smaller body. You can tell in DocJ's photo that the Collings body is ever so slightly smaller than the Kinnard. It's not much, but I notice it and prefer it. To me, Collings are the most comfortable and easy to play ukes out there. There are many that are beautiful, many that sound great, many that are easy to play, but few that do all these things at the same time. Great balance, great feel.

-Steve

I have a Collings UT 2 in quilted mahogany I bought brand new in 2009 that I think I will never sell. It was my first really good uke, punchy, melodic and loud.

I also have a UT 2 custom in mahogany with a select spruce top I bought used that would be hard to part with.

While I really like the Collings ukes, I don't have other mahogany tenor ukes so I can't make a direct comparison.

But John S Kinnard makes a very nice tenor, I have two, and Rick Turner makes an excellent ukulele, I have four Compass Rose tenors, but CRs may not be the perfect ukes for traditionalists due to design innovation / differences.

FWIW I also have a Kim Breedlove Signature Tenor Uke in Bearclaw Spruce and Flamed Myrtle that is very nice and very loud.

While it may seem like I am not addressing your question, I guess my answer is Bill Collings builds a wonderful uke, but so does John S Kinnard, and Rick Turner is probably my personal choice as my favorite ukulele builder.

P.S. They have a beautiful Collings UT 2 on HMS / The Ukulele Site right now.

Last edited:
OK, Here's a sound sample of all 4 of my mahogany tenors. Tunings and strings are somewhat different. Each sounds unique and wonderful. Hard to have only one, so I don't.

1) Colling UT2, low g, B tuning
2) Kinnard, low g, B tuning
3) Boat Paddle Kayak, C tuning
4) 40s/50s vintage Martin, B tuning

https://app.box.com/s/kopoi5ajsoi64jkp0kfa

Last edited:
Doc that was a wonderful comparison, thank you for sharing that! I have to say that the Martin knocked my socks off! That's what I am really jonesing for but understand that the tenors are a little more tenuous as far as getting a "good" one. They have gone up so much too in price. I have a bari in a shop that I am beginning to wonder if I will ever see again, but the 20" scale hampers me some. I love the necks on Martins, however I also like a radius. The only 'hog tenor I have is a vintage Japanese Martin copy.

GASguy, thank you! I am wondering how many guitars you have as it seems like your handle should be UASguy, oh wait, that would be mmStan! ;D kidding. :) The one on HMS is way higher than the one I am considering and yes it is luscious!

Plenty of people sell Cool's newfound, beloved Martins, too. At the end of the day we can all sit here and tell you this is better than the other, but none of that will matter to you, in the end. We'll either convince you or we won't, but here's to hoping you find the perfect uke for you ;)

No such thing as perfect unless, probably, a Moore Bettah. But there are a ton of great ukes and our tastes change. I'm looking for pros and cons and a general consensus. I could be one who buys one, loves it, then sells it later for why I just don't know.. I am still trying to bond with my Kanile'a. Not a dang thing wrong with it, but I finally did a setup on it. I got it from MGM and it never really was set up properly. In an hour I got it just so, then waited overnight for a nut slot I filled to dry and what a difference. It always rang like a bell but more so now and it has sustain that goes on and on. And here I was going to sell it down the river. Whenever I get a jones for a new uke I make myself check setups and restring all my other ukes first. Cause they need to look and sound their best cause one is going bye bye.

BTW, TiteBond2 and white marble dust make for an incredible nut slot filler if you file a little too low. It dries invisible and shrinks down tight and hard.

I sure agree with the special sound of mahogany. I'm waiting for that special one to come up for sale. After my MB, I thought no more; but sure would like to find a good mahogany tenor.

I can't seem to put my Collings UT2 mahogany down. It's tuned low G and I use Living Waters strings. I started playing about 3 years ago on an inexpensive Fender Nohea and then as my playing improved I wanted something better. I played a bunch of really nice instruments in a shop in Phoneix including a bunch of Martin's and a Compass Rose. When I tried the Collings I knew it was the one and I can't seem to put it down. I kept my Fender to use on camping and fishing trips but my playing is so much better in my Collings that I bring it instead.

I am experimenting with amplification and not wanting to alter my Collings in any way I purchased a Schertler pickup that sticks on the body with some putty and a Roland AC33 amp. I was never a guitarist , instead my background is the piano, truth is I have a gorgeous Yamaha Grand Piano that I haven't spent much time at since I bought the Collings.

I bought a Collings UT1 over a year ago. Running living water strings, high G on it.

Not sure why I need to qualify myself but I've been playing guitar for 20 years, Ukulele since 2006. Had very high end guitars/amps/effects etc.

The main thing I find is that EVERY instrument is different. I picked my old Tacoma Jumbo over Martins/Taylors/Guilds in a higher price range. Same thing with my American Deluxe Strat 1998. (still haven't found one I'd rather play than it, sound wise Lindy Fralin pickups, or feel wise.) Good and bad in all brands *to your ear*

The build quality as everyone has stated is impeccable.
Playability excellent, very easy.
Fit/Finish Excellent
Very LIGHT!

The Collings excels at fingerpicking/fingerstyle. (Bohemian Rhapsody, Hallelujah, Over the Rainbow instrumental)
The Jazz sounds/songs are excellent.
20's 30's songs sound great, perfect on a Mahogany uke!
Very clear/articulate.

The strumming is full and stays together when pushed, pretty loud. My 12yr old daughter has a KoAloha Pikake concert (worth browns) and "I" like the sound of the strumming (chord strumming) a little better, sounds more Hawaiian ( as it should) and I tend to play it on those songs. More like jangly chord strumming.

People keep and sell ukes ALL THE TIME, for different reasons. It's not just one specific brand. People get very caught up in vintage Martins vs Collings debate. I would be very interested to hear both new, the Collings UT1 vs Martin 2M after they have both aged for 40 years.

I have only wanted to trade my Collings for a Carbon Fiber mainly due to the weather/humidity issues in Colorado. Basically for a Clara (hope they make a tenor soon!) But I realize I will most likely be dropping sound quality.

Hope that helps some.

Everybody thank you SO much for sharing your experience and opinions! It takes time and I really appreciate your time! Very much aloha spirit showing here. :D

I have been looking for a month overall, and have been eyeing specifically for the last week and finally put a hold on this uke below. It is a stretch for me and normally I buy used, but this one spoke to me. I love the airy sound of mahogany for reentrant. I have a Pono Pro Classic rosewood and cedar for my linear. I figure this comes with a warranty over a 40-50 year old Martin (I'm seeing them at $1,200 and up to $1,800 now, and one set to go off eBay in a few hours sitting at $895 that is an unknown as far as problems). I called the store to get the measurements on the action and it is perfect. The saddle looks like it should slide out but possibly not, and if shaved on the bottom it would not quite line up at the edges so that was my last question for the dealer as I didn't want to touch it. I don't know how the rope purfling would affect potential resale but I love rope. It has some figure, but the highly figured wood is another $500 and that is way too much additional for me. I like my bling in wood, not abalone or pearl etc., but the fit and feel and sound is primary.

You all rock!! :cool:

UT2 front.jpgUT2too.jpg

I'm not usually a fan of rope, but that looks gorgeous! congratulations!

That one looks awesome.
I forgot to mention how good the Collings smell!

You open the case (awesome case too) and it just smells so good!

the fit and feel will be amazing on the Collings.

Top Bottom