New Ukulele

Annatheuke

Reaction score
So I have been playing ukulele for several months now and I started off with a cheap one. Now I am thinking about getting a new one that is better quality. I was looking at some that had really cool designs but I'm not sure how much that will impact the sound. Any ukulele recommendations? Thanks.

I am sure you will get many suggestions. What size and what price range are you looking at?

Either a concert or soprano, and no more then 100$ (since its only my second uke I don't want to buy a super expensive one yet)

what were you looking at that had cool designs? slash what do you have now (better for determining what an upgrade would be). With that price I would try to look used, or jump ur price up a lil cause with a bit more spending cash there are tonnes of amazing upgrades without spending crazy amounts but getting something that is nicer.

I started playing last June, within three months I bought 6 lower end ukes for about $150 each. By six months I got to a point where I realized most of those were just not good enough, so I traded in three of them for a really good Kala tenor for $370, $150 after trade in. I thought I was being smart not buying a better quality one at first, but in retrospect, I should have spent more in the first place.

I'm actually planning on getting a custom made gypsy jazz style sometime soon and will sell off two more of the lesser ones.

Last edited:
Im not exactly sure what you consider cheap for your first uke but a makala pineapple from ukerepublic is a hundred bucks theyll set it up throw you a tuner and a bag and put aquilas on for just at 100 bucks. It may not have cool designs on it but it is a pineapple which i do love, plus i really enjoy mine, i have better ukes but find myself grabbing this one more and more because its fun and easy to play

I wanted one after playing on one meant for little kids, where I found I loved the ukulele.

I went with a solid top for my first "real" ukulele. It was probably one of my better decisions this year.

It is the first one in my signature and it is still one of the specials at HMS. Set up and with shipping, it was $5 less than buying the same ukulele without setup on Amazon etc.

My suggestion to you is to look for a uke in your $100 price range that has a solid top. The back and sides can be laminate, but a solid top should offer a better sound. Otherwise a great deal of laminates are made equal and exist at many price points. If your going to upgrade then upgrade and truly get something that will sound better. It's a tough decision that many of us have been through.

You might be able to get more bang for your buck if you look for a used uke. Check your local craigslist or the marketplace on this forum. Also the Flea Market Music web site.

I agree with all the others who've said to look at used. You'll get a lot more bang for your buck.

Also, $100 isn't much to work with. If you can wait and save til you have $150-200, you'll have a lot more and better options open to you.

I have a Hilo uke currently and I was looking at this one by Kala:
http://www.rakuten.com/prod/kala-ka...e&adid=18176&gclid=CJic5dql-r0CFcFlOgodTBwAng

I don't really know what brands and types are good or not yet so I'm not sure if this is a good one.

If you like it, go for it. I personally would spend more like $120 to $150 and get a solid top. You get what you pay for, the more you spend the better ukulele it will be. My first uke is a $280 ukulele (after playing for 10 days on my daughters makala dolphin). I adore it. Solid Mahagony, Kala.

Top Bottom