Kind of NUD

steel rider

Reaction score
Just traded my Mainland Classic Soprano with MiSi for a repaired Mainland Classic Concert with under saddle pickup plus a tuner. Seemed like an OK deal to me since my two sopranos were collecting dust and I've never had a concert sized.

I can see why people like concert! If I ever get a uke more expensive than my Pono AT it may be a concert. We will see.

I do have a question. I know you are not supposed to because of the string gauges, but I have a couple of low g tenor flourocarbon string sets sitting around (Ken Middleton and PHS I believe). Is anone using tenor strings on their concert? I will try it out since I want low g and can't get a concert low g set immediately.

Thanks

Last edited:
I've even tried low G on a longneck soprano - it didn't sound like your typical low-G tenor but it didn't sound bad.

You're the only one who can answer the question of whether it works for you...and only after you try it. :)

John

Shout out to Ukulele Source in San Jose. They are going to mail a set of PHDs for me. Didn't even ask for me to pay postage. In the meantime I will experiment with the tenor strings but not cut them.

Shout out to Ukulele Source in San Jose. They are going to mail a set of PHDs for me. Didn't even ask for me to pay postage. In the meantime I will experiment with the tenor strings but not cut them.

Not cutting them won't help if you are thinking of reusing them on a tenor after having them on a shorter scale. Being pinched by the sharp bend around the tuner (and especially where it goes through the hole) on a shorter scale will damage part of the string that will almost certainly be in the region between the nut and bridge if you try to use the string on a tenor, later. That will, at the very least, almost certainly bung up your intonation on that string. It's okay to swap strings around to different ukes at the same scale, or going from a long scale to a short scale, but going the other way you will never get an accurate "read" on whether that string is good for a uke or not.

John

Good point. Thanks. So I have to decide if I want to ruin my tenor strings...

Not cutting them won't help if you are thinking of reusing them on a tenor after having them on a shorter scale. Being pinched by the sharp bend around the tuner (and especially where it goes through the hole) on a shorter scale will damage part of the string that will almost certainly be in the region between the nut and bridge if you try to use the string on a tenor, later. That will, at the very least, almost certainly bung up your intonation on that string. It's okay to swap strings around to different ukes at the same scale, or going from a long scale to a short scale, but going the other way you will never get an accurate "read" on whether that string is good for a uke or not.

John

Good point. Thanks. So I have to decide if I want to ruin my tenor strings...

One thing I've learned...even expensive ukulele strings are cheap. You should try experimenting with strings for bass (especially extended range basses)!

Seriously, though, strings are cheaper than ukuleles by probably two orders of magnitude...if you're not thrilled with the sound you're getting, or just want to see if there is something better, it's almost always better to experiment with strings a bit before springing for another uke.

John

Put the tenor PHD strings on and it sounds beautiful. I don't notice a huge difference in the string tension but there is a LITTLE more slack. I could live with it for sure, but for the price of strings ($8.50 for PHD low g concert set) I will put the concert scale strings on when they arrive next week.

Glad the strings worked out! Any pics? I absolutely adore the concert scale.

Thans Jenny. I don't have any pics of it, maybe because it looks just like the soprano I had for a while and I've seem my share of Mainland ukes. :)

Top Bottom