d-mace

Reaction score
SOLD

Specs:
apricot headstock veneer
mahogany neck
rosewood fretboard
apricot position dots
magnolia body with blue/black milk paint finish. super durable - no marks.
cherry cover plate
walnut bridge
National cone

Great tone and depth. Big range of tones and warmer sounding than other resonators I've owned/tried. To quote Jon, "It doesn't have the brittle metallic after burn like many resonators have."

I've been on the fence selling this one because it is really (surprisingly really) comfortable and fun to play. Its got a great build quality and feels and sounds like you're picking up an old instrument but with zero issues.

Jon's excellent youtube review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c3RtB_ome8

My quick iPhone sound sample - tuned down 1/2 step.
https://soundcloud.com/d-mace/big-rusty

My sound sample has Fremont Blacklines (hard) and a dull sounding Aquila Red low G, but it's interesting how different it sounds from Jon's sample. I'm sure a lot has to do with playing style.

Comes with nice fitting hardshell case. New these are $1000…..Used price with no dings, great action and intonation is $699 shipped in cont. US - paypal friends price.

Attachments

• photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 61
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 50
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 47
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
more pics….

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 33
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 25
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 21
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 18
Yes, it sounds quite different in the two sound samples. I am anxiously waiting for Jon's old Big Rusty Tenor to arrive from Australia. Seeing as how you have demonstrated the variance on this one I may try some different strings as well. Good luck with the sale.
I understand that Russ, the fellow that built them, is not building instruments right now. I wish him well.

Hey David, Nice sound sample, I'll have to try that tuning and string combination on one of my ukes. I'm curious, what is the width of the nut ?

I've received a couple of ukes from Jon and they always arrive safe and sound. That tenor looks fantastic. I didn't know that about Russ....yes, hope all is well.

Yes, it sounds quite different in the two sound samples. I am anxiously waiting for Jon's old Big Rusty Tenor to arrive from Australia. Seeing as how you have demonstrated the variance on this one I may try some different strings as well. Good luck with the sale.
I understand that Russ, the fellow that built them, is not building instruments right now. I wish him well.

Hey David, Nice sound sample, I'll have to try that tuning and string combination on one of my ukes. I'm curious, what is the width of the nut ?

Looks like the nut is in between 1 3/8" and 1 1/2". Embarrassingly, I'm not sure what that measurement is called.

Try the hard version of Blacklines. They sound mellower to my ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom