soprano/concert strings on a tenor ???

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have some Martin M600 (sop/concert) strings hanging around and was wondering if they would work well on a tenor.

If anyone has any experience with this, particularly these strings I would appreciate your feedback.

They will most likely work, but I expect it to be very thin/light.. probably won't give as bold a tone expected on a tenor... might sound a bit tinny and trebly

Not necessarily because they're soprano/concert strings.
More because that's how Martin strings are

Might be ok. Oasis uses the same set for soprano, concert, and tenor. Length maybe a little short, depending on how long the M600 strings are.

wouldn't they be really tight?!?!?!

No. Soprano/Concert strings would be loose on a tenor. Tenor strings are usually a bit thicker than shorter scale strings. Thinner strings require less tension for a specific tonal frequency/ note.

Frequency is proportional to (Tension/mass per length)^0.5
Thinner strings have less mass per length, thus need less tension for a specific frequency.

Logically you would think so; but I have found in practice that it really depends on the brand. There is great variety on what tension each company sets as default, so there is some leeway of mixing around.

That being said, I generally use tenor strings on soprano/concert, not the other way around

No. Soprano/Concert strings would be loose on a tenor. Tenor strings are usually a bit thicker than shorter scale strings. Thinner strings require less tension for a specific tonal frequency/ note.

Frequency is proportional to (Tension/mass per length)^0.5
Thinner strings have less mass per length, thus need less tension for a specific frequency.

This is a rather confusing ordeal because short-scale instruments generally need thicker gauge strings to make it the same tension for the same tuning.
At least this is the case on guitar.

With the ukulele, sopranos/concerts actually have lower tension than tenor; as instruments; so you can't say soprano/concerts are "short scale tenors".
Thus their strings are designed with looser tension in mind....

Completely different story on short-scale guitars. You want thicker strings on a short scale than on a long scale..

The cumulative string tension is designed to be less for a soprano than a concert, and less for a concert than a tenor.
David Hurd has a nice discussion of this and other luthier topics. http://www.ukuleles.com/Technology/strings.html
Cumulative Tension ( lbs) [ref. above website]
# Strings Soprano Concert Tenor Baritone
4-string ~21 ~33 ~39 ~53

Based on the scale length change of 15" vs. 17", concert strings would yield 33*(17/15)^2. = 42.4 lb on a tenor, not accounting for additional stretching (thinning) of the string. So, it should be close to the tenor design tension. Likewise for soprano strings, tenor tension would be = 21*(17/13.5)^2= 33.3 lb. Again, this should be no problem.

Top Bottom