Old Martin factory Photo?

Timbuck

Reaction score
Just found this on the web...lot's of interesting stuff from the past here, sanding the waist area on a box full of sopranos..and a table full of Tenors or Concerts??.....Love those table legs (could be an old pool table ?):D

Last edited:
Those soprano bodies do not have a very well defined waist, is that the "Ditson" shape?

I love those old factory photos from Martin, Gibson and any other factory from that time.
For some reason, i find this picture compelling.gibson 1915.jpg

I love those old factory photos from Martin, Gibson and any other factory from that time.
For some reason, i find this picture compelling.View attachment 66305

Looks like a Holywood movie poster. I half expected to see Brad Pit and George Clooney dressed up Ol' Timey.

<Deep Movie Voice>
"In a World of inferior Ukulele's, a band of ex-con luthiers struggle to make a difference."
</Deep Movie Voice>

In the Martin picture at top, look how the worker has set aside for special handling, the 1, or 0-size guitar that got extra side-waist-burnt.

I'm guessing the reason those workers looks so serious is that the photo was taken using ambient (dim) lighting, and would require a long shutter opening. They would have been told to hold still and not even twitch. Also, being photographed would have been a pretty rare occurance, a hundred years ago. They would be in awe of the process.

Or perhaps it was a chemical flare, flash photo, and they were trying hard not to blink.

All things considered, it's a darned good photo.

Top Bottom