Are some of the different make ukes made in the same shop?

Faricelli

Reaction score
I know that a lot of makes and models are made by the same manufacturers in some of my other hobbies. I realize that the high end ukes are made by different shops and craftsman. I am referring towards some of the less expensive models. Anyone got a inside scoop?

Perhaps not an inside scoop anymore, but if you compare Lanikai and Kala models, there are some scary similarities. No big deal I would say, both brand have about equally reasonable reputation for a budget uke.
I wonder about those Indonesian factories, Pono is "famous" for being made over there, but there was another recent brand that got their ukes there... Mainland? The new Kala line? Someone, help me out here.
On a side note, how about work ethics in those factories? Are the budget ukes constructed by 4-year old kids for $0.50 a week??? Lots of clothing factories work that way, and people do not care until it is pointed out to them. I could imagine "fair trade" ukes to work well marketing-wise, because there are so many cool people playing. I'd buy one.

Mele is another name that has instruments constructed overseas . . . excerpt from their site;
. . . The workers who do our basic assembly in the Philippines come from generations of skilled luthiers, and take great pride in doing their work entirely by hand, ear and eye.

I wonder about those Indonesian factories, Pono is "famous" for being made over there, but there was another recent brand that got their ukes there... Mainland? The new Kala line? Someone, help me out here.

The new Fenders are made in Indonesia.

Right, seeso. I remember now I heard it on one of the introduction videos. This one, if I am not mistaken... Yep, that's the one. At 1:14, for those who are anxious to save time ;)

Top Bottom