How much does a custom ukulele cost?

ichadwick

Reaction score
There's some some samples on the FB page also. They look beautiful, but over the mic I'm not in love with the sound.

There's some some samples on the FB page also. They look beautiful, but over the mic I'm not in love with the sound.

I had the same reaction – works of visual art, but . . . (and I realize that recordings aren't always reliable).

It can be a problem when new builders hang out a shingle. I'm all for encouraging beginning builders but the simple fact is that they don't have the depth of experience that inspires confidence. In short, I don't think I'd ever buy a "custom" without hearing the builder's work beforehand unless said builder had earned a solid reputation through years and years of delivering instruments that sound and play as good as they look.

There is a distinct difference between a master wood crafter and a master luthier...both will build very attractive instruments but the luthier knows how to bring sound to the table, too.

Now, I'm not saying this guy doesn't build good sounding instruments...the unadulterated sample was so brief I think it's fairly useless in judging the real sound of the instrument. That said, when the rubber meets the road if one buys a custom that doesn't sound significantly better than a decent factory uke they've basically purchased a decoration...

John

Haha! That's about what I spend in materials for the ukes I build including the case. I have a feeling that he is generously subsidizing his building with the proceeds from his job as "district manager for the Ralph Lauren".

Last edited:
Haha! That's about what I spend in materials for the ukes I build including the case. I have a feeling that he is generously subsidizing his building with the proceeds from his job as "district manager for the Ralph Lauren".

hahahahah

yer- $400-$500 is cost price

I was surprised at the low cost... mostly because the time alone must be worth something like that. I admire people who take on such challenges, but I don't tend to buy from them - at least until they have built a reputation.

you would imagine a decade of trying this and that is part of a custom builder's resume. in kamaka's case they have been tweaking the product for a century. getting good at anything is a slow process.

Top Bottom