NUD for the birthday boy

trickcyclist

Reaction score
I spent 3 hours at SUS trying everything they had with a tenor scale length and finally plumped for this wonderful KoAloha super concert. I really wanted to like the pineapple sunday better, but I didn't. Hey ho. No regrets after I put a low g on today, cos it rocks. I think it's the nicest looking instrument I have by miles, and it gives my mandolin a good run in the tone stakes. Now if only I could change into that swing style 7th shape cleanly...
20140427_142624.jpg

Congratulations! a friend of mine has one like yours, it sings!

Oh my, that is good looking. What made you choose the super concert over the tenor, tone or playability because of the smaller body size. I have been toying around with the idea of a super concert.

Love the sound of the KoAloha's

Wow, a honey. Kind of a super tone monster!

It was the tone that did it. The ps and a pono tenor (marked down with an invisible blemish) were both marginally more comfortable to play. The sound of this one has a 'shimmer' to it that the tenors didn't. Plus the pono was a bit quiet (but was also cedar so may well open up significantly). The ps had more of that shimmer, which was really attractive. But mine has some midrange grunt and bark when you push it, which the ps didn't. Particularly with the low g, this one will do the dirty blues as well as the pretty stuff. So of them all, this was the most versatile, as well as having some nice qualities the others didn't (but that was the case for all 3, and if I'd had the cash I'd have had all 3...)

that's a gorgeous slab of wood!

Looking very good! Congratulations. I like how you use the word, "shimmer".

Congrats and Happy Birthday, that's a beaut!

Any danger of a sound sample?

One of my favorite ukes I've played. And you surely spent a lot less than on a similar quality mandolin! Enjoy!!!

One of my favorite ukes I've played. And you surely spent a lot less than on a similar quality mandolin! Enjoy!!!
Tell me about it! If the country and bluegrass world ever picks up on ukes you had better stock up on your favourites fast, cos it will add a '0' onto the end of the price overnight...

Congratulations! If you're going low-G you definitely picked the right uke. The Pineapple Sunday's main strength (IMHO) is that it sounds similar to a soprano while having the roomy neck of a tenor. I can't imagine putting a low-G on my PS.

John

Top Bottom