The grass is not necessarily greener on the other side of the fence.

bborzell

Reaction score
I took the Reno Uke Fest as an opportunity to compare what is out there to my MP Custom tenor. There were a few empty tables on Friday so I am not sure who showed up later on Friday or during the weekend.

But, I did pick up every tenor that was available and, of all the ukes I played, the clear winners in construction, playability and tone were the Kinnards. Had I been in a buying mode, I would have taken the Cedar/Rosewood model home. Ironically, it was the least expensive of the 5 or 6 Kinnard tenors I played. All the Kinnards sounded and played beautifully in their own right but the tone of the cedar top really fit my ear.

First thing I did when we got home was to pull out the MP and see how well my memory would allow me to compare its playability and sound to the Kinnard. I also had the benefit of having my wife listen to me play all the Kinnards and the MP when we came home.

The verdict for both of us was that a blind A/B test between the Cedar/Rosewood Kinnard and the Cedar/Mango MP would be a toss up. Both are warm, clear and beautifully balanced. Add to that the level of construction detail, finish, feel and playability and all scores on each uke would be 10s.

Had the Kinnard been at Reno last year when I bought my MP, I would probably have been going back and forth between the Kinnard and MP table all weekend and then flipped a coin.

This may be a silly question, but I haven't seen MP on the site a lot and I don't know what it means - what does MP stand for?

This may be a silly question, but I haven't seen MP on the site a lot and I don't know what it means - what does MP stand for?

(coolkayaker...where are you when we need you...?)

If you google Mike Pereira, the first MP to come up is "Mike Pereira is a former Vice President of Officiating for the National Football League. He first took over the position in 2001...", but that's not "him".
This is the real MP....mpukuleles.com, maker of fine custom ukuleles. In fact there is a sweet little MP concert for sale at FMM right now.

So that's, MP FS at FMM RFN!

(coolkayaker...where are you when we need you...?)

If you google Mike Pereira, the first MP to come up is "Mike Pereira is a former Vice President of Officiating for the National Football League. He first took over the position in 2001...", but that's not "him".
This is the real MP....mpukuleles.com, maker of fine custom ukuleles. In fact there is a sweet little MP concert for sale at FMM right now.

So that's, MP FS at FMM RFN!

Mahalo with a LOL!!!

Looking at his website, doesn't look like he's building anymore, or at least for the time being. Not taking orders, and his pricing and for sale links are blank.

*sigh* *raises hand* ...and what does FMN stand for????????? :shaka:

Well Ukejenny, you are very fortunate that I am available...kids are fed and off to school...

FMN stands for...
Flavin mononucleotide (FMN), or riboflavin-5′-phosphate, is a biomolecule produced from riboflavin (vitamin B2) by the enzyme riboflavin kinase and functions as prosthetic group of various oxidoreductases including NADH dehydrogenase as well as cofactor in biological blue-light photo receptors. During the catalytic cycle...

However, I was referring to, FMM, Eff Emm Emm, Flea Market Music, https://www.fleamarketmusic.com/marketplace/default.asp, the "other" ukulele site...

Okay, I'll need to start writing this stuff down!!! :cool:

Well Ukejenny, you are very fortunate that I am available...kids are fed and off to school...

FMN stands for...
Flavin mononucleotide (FMN), or riboflavin-5′-phosphate, is a biomolecule produced from riboflavin (vitamin B2) by the enzyme riboflavin kinase and functions as prosthetic group of various oxidoreductases including NADH dehydrogenase as well as cofactor in biological blue-light photo receptors. During the catalytic cycle...

However, I was referring to, FMM, Eff Emm Emm, Flea Market Music, https://www.fleamarketmusic.com/marketplace/default.asp, the "other" ukulele site...

Looking at his website, doesn't look like he's building anymore, or at least for the time being. Not taking orders, and his pricing and for sale links are blank.

Mike is building and selling exclusively through The Strum Shop in Roseville, CA. There were 3 or 4 MPs hanging on the Strum Shop display at Reno this year. Last year, Mike was there with his own table.

I took the Reno Uke Fest as an opportunity to compare what is out there to my MP Custom tenor. There were a few empty tables on Friday so I am not sure who showed up later on Friday or during the weekend.

But, I did pick up every tenor that was available and, of all the ukes I played, the clear winners in construction, playability and tone were the Kinnards. Had I been in a buying mode, I would have taken the Cedar/Rosewood model home. Ironically, it was the least expensive of the 5 or 6 Kinnard tenors I played. All the Kinnards sounded and played beautifully in their own right but the tone of the cedar top really fit my ear.

First thing I did when we got home was to pull out the MP and see how well my memory would allow me to compare its playability and sound to the Kinnard. I also had the benefit of having my wife listen to me play all the Kinnards and the MP when we came home.

The verdict for both of us was that a blind A/B test between the Cedar/Rosewood Kinnard and the Cedar/Mango MP would be a toss up. Both are warm, clear and beautifully balanced. Add to that the level of construction detail, finish, feel and playability and all scores on each uke would be 10s.

Had the Kinnard been at Reno last year when I bought my MP, I would probably have been going back and forth between the Kinnard and MP table all weekend and then flipped a coin.

Aloha bborzell,

How did the Kinnard Cocobolo/Bear Claw Spruce slot head tenor sound?

Mike is building and selling exclusively through The Strum Shop in Roseville, CA. There were 3 or 4 MPs hanging on the Strum Shop display at Reno this year. Last year, Mike was there with his own table.

I'm not sure this is exactly true. I bought one of his soprano's secondhand from coolkayaker recently (amazing lower register on this particular soprano, which has a rather deep body). In correspondence with Mike, he said:

"...I haven't stopped making ukes. I went back to work at National guitars a little over a year ago, so I've been concentrating more on making spec ukes instead of made to order instruments...they're still out there. Later on this year I might take a limited amount of custom orders..."

Maybe Strum Shop is exclusive or maybe they've just gobbled up his limited output of spec units?

I fell in love with that same Kinnard when I had an opportunity to play it a few months ago and vow to eventually have one built just like it with a slot head.

Incidentally, I also have an MP custom soprano that I really, really like. The richness to its lower register voicing really shocked me (this is the only soprano I've owned so far).

I'm not sure this is exactly true. I bought one of his soprano's secondhand from coolkayaker recently (amazing lower register on this particular soprano, which has a rather deep body). In correspondence with Mike, he said:

"...I haven't stopped making ukes. I went back to work at National guitars a little over a year ago, so I've been concentrating more on making spec ukes instead of made to order instruments...they're still out there. Later on this year I might take a limited amount of custom orders..."

Maybe Strum Shop is exclusive or maybe they've just gobbled up his limited output of spec units?

I am going by what the Strum Shop said on their site. Also was told the same by the store manager. That was two months ago. Obviously relationships are rarely permanent. My comment was in response to speculation that Mike was no longer building. That is apparently not the case as The Strum Shop has received 2-3 new ukes in the last month.

Aloha bborzell,

How did the Kinnard Cocobolo/Bear Claw Spruce slot head tenor sound?

They all sounded great. The spruce top was very lively. Not overly bright, but clearly brighter than the cedar. While the tone was outstanding, all the Kinnards simply felt "right". Playability can be an elusive quality for builders to capture consistently. My MP has it as do all of the Kinnard tenors I played.

Mike has gone back to work at National Guitars as a supervisor in their workshop......but I am sure he still has time to build a few ukes....:)

Top Bottom