KPK or Kala ???

jjdejd

Reaction score
Looking for a uke for my niece. Think it’s going to be a concert. We like the KPK concert or the Kala KA-ACP-CT Solid Cedar Top Slothead. I know the KPK will be set up and fairly easy to play. Not sure about the Kala. I would buy it from HMS. Are they a “hit & miss” uke? Don’t have any experience with Kala. Obviously, the Kala wins the “beauty” contest. Thanks.

Last edited:
The Kala, coming from HMS will certainly be playable, personally I would choose the KPK, partly because it's Koa, but if you both like the looks of the Kala, go for it!

I've had KPKs and generally they are a good choice. Most recently had an Acacia concert. Don't have it any more.

Now I have the Kala you referenced. Awesome uke!

There's a message in here...

I love my KPK - sounds and plays great, smooth as butter on the fretboard. And the wood is gorgeous. It is Acacia.

Have 2 KPKs, love them both.

bobinde

Love my Kala....I have 2, one is the nicest playing uke I've ever owned, the other one never goes out of tune, even when droipped....I might buy another Kala someday, thyre' very consistent...Mim or Uke Republic, for sure!

Another of those dilemmas where she can't lose. Even if the KPK sounds "better", that Kala is no slouch. If it's not a surprise, send her some pics.

If you are worried about the KPK not being setup, you don't need to. They do a great setup job over there. I'd take the solid uke over the solid top uke, even though I had heard that a solid top can sound just as good.

Gimme the KPK :)

Ohp never mind. JUst re-read your original post about the setup. But yeah, my choice still stands.

Wanted to add, I emailed back and forth with KPK a few times, discussing cases and the setup, and he was really good about giving me information and asking questions about exactly what I wanted. It arrived with a fabulous setup. I have a low G on mine and the sound is beautiful.

Is your niece new to uke? or already playing and know about the different of ukes sound?

If she is new to uke, of even its the first uke, I say go for the look (Kala). In my humble opinion. The attraction of the uke itself plays a part to getting more time from her to hug it, play it, show it off. And this is very important in the early learning stage. And don't worry the better sounding/quality ukes, they always come later when she get hooked up.

If she is not new and know about the different of ukes sound, I think both are good choice.

Wish the best for you both. And the new uke.:)

Last edited:
Is your niece new to uke? or already playing and know about the different of ukes sound?

If she is new to uke, of even its the first uke, I say go for the look (Kala). In my humble opinion. The attraction of the uke itself plays a part to getting more time from her to hug it, play it, show it off. And this is very important in the early learning stage. And don't worry the better sounding/quality ukes, they always come later when she get hooked up.

If she is not new and know about the different of ukes sound, I think both are good choice.

Wish the best for you both. And the new uke.:)

Thanks for ali of your comments. It seems like a tie. :confused: My niece played guitar a few years back and lost interest. She is new to the uke after seeing me play. I know the KPK will do, but I was thinking the same as Hammond. The Kala is a nice looking instrument and may help move her along. Haven't really showed her either uke. She is currently playing a very "low end" Lanikai pineapple. I'm sure if she saw the Kala, she would be speechless.

Thanks for ali of your comments. It seems like a tie. :confused: My niece played guitar a few years back and lost interest. She is new to the uke after seeing me play. I know the KPK will do, but I was thinking the same as Hammond. The Kala is a nice looking instrument and may help move her along. Haven't really showed her either uke. She is currently playing a very "low end" Lanikai pineapple. I'm sure if she saw the Kala, she would be speechless.

You really can't go wrong either way. If you last sentence is true, it looks like you have your answer. Go with the Kala.

Top Bottom