PDA

View Full Version : Wound strings

tonet
04-28-2014, 07:36 AM
Hello fellows,

How many wraps should I do to tie a fremont low g in the bridge of my tenor ukulele? With Koolau Alohis high g set I wrap them two times but I have this doubt for wound strings. Thanks for your help.

Ramart
04-28-2014, 12:38 PM
Hello fellows,

How many wraps should I do to tie a fremont low g in the bridge of my tenor ukulele? With Koolau Alohis high g set I wrap them two times but I have this doubt for wound strings. Thanks for your help.

You're talking about the Fremont Soloist flat-wound, the so-called "squeakless" low G, right? I think I recognize your issue: Because the metal-wound Soloist is harder to bend/loop than nylon, I struggled a bit to get my usual two wraps in the bridge tie-off. But eventually I got there.

OldePhart
04-28-2014, 02:32 PM
I only use one wrap on the Thomastik-Infeld chrome flat wound strings that I use and I've never had one slip. Even the flat wound strings grip pretty good once tension pinches it down to the bridge.

John

Hammond
04-28-2014, 04:30 PM
From HMS's string changing video, one wrap for wound string would be fine. I do one wrap for it, when I not yet use beads.

Hope it helped you.

Ramart
04-28-2014, 04:44 PM
I only use one wrap on the Thomastik-Infeld chrome flat wound strings that I use and I've never had one slip. Even the flat wound strings grip pretty good once tension pinches it down to the bridge.

John

Good to know. I won't struggle next time. I suspected one wrap would hold but I just couldn't be sure.

tonet
04-29-2014, 07:10 AM
Thanks a lot for your help.