Steel string tenor guitar ukulele

Foxfish

Reaction score
Hi guys, I m having a jazbox baritone uke made for me, it will have a truss rod & X bracing to take steel strings.
My ukulele guitar won't be ready until September but I have been wondering about string sizes. I want to tune it like a tenor guitar CGDA but I can't find any info on string size for a 20" scale tenor guitar?
Can anyone help :)

Wow, I've been pondering a baritone bodied uke with a short scale tenor neck for steel strings to tune gCEA. Look forward to hearing your's when you get it.

Hi guys, I m having a jazbox baritone uke made for me, it will have a truss rod & X bracing to take steel strings.
My ukulele guitar won't be ready until September but I have been wondering about string sizes. I want to tune it like a tenor guitar CGDA but I can't find any info on string size for a 20" scale tenor guitar?
Can anyone help :)

im waiting for the kala tenor guitar to come out, i will of course tune mine like a baritone uke than i will finally have my 'steel string acoustic baritone' uke.
just curious how short the scale is, im hoping their making it about 20-21".

im waiting for the kala tenor guitar to come out, i will of course tune mine like a baritone uke than i will finally have my 'steel string acoustic baritone' uke.

i have a cigar box project i'm working on that i plan on tuning with steel strings like a high d baritone. the scale is a bit longer (25') but still should be a heap of fun when it's complete.

Thanks for the reply's, l have ordered an arch top F hole version from here ... http://www.jazzboxukes.com/ .
It will have a slim 32mm nut, so in effect it will be a short scale tenor guitar!

Love that jazzbox. Am thinking of a short scale tenor guitar tuned GCEA since I found out it's one of the alternate tunings for it.

Do you think the floating bridge & rear mounted strings make a difference to those string calculator sites as the strings will in fact be longer than a fixed bridge model?

As a former guitar player, I was missing that steel string twang so I got an inexpensive Blueridge tenor, beautiful guitar by the way, and stumbled on Ry Cooder's website where he has suggestions for stings sizes for various instruments and tunings. It's tuned the same as a tenor uke, GCEA. Very cool!
Sounds a little thin because of the strings, so I put a K&K in it...lovin' it. It's a hit at the Kanikapila. (well, for me anyway...)

I notice Toby (jazbox ukes) has uploaded new pics on his Facebook page!

The Kala will have a 21 3/8" scale and the nut is 1 1/16"

Top Bottom