New Film About Peter Hurney

H

Hippie Dribble

David Silberberg's wonderful new documentary film showing Pohaku's Peter Hurney building a soprano uke, transforming raw wood into playable art. Soundtrack by composer Steven Strauss.

We have three Pohaku ukes in our home, each beautifully crafted and each with a unique voice. I loved watching Peter work. Thanks very much, Eugene!

I loved watching Peter work. Thanks very much, Eugene! That was a neat video. Thanks for bringing attention to it I loved this. Thanks.

I've been wanting to see that video in it's entirety for a while! Thanks so much.

I stumbled upon this video tonight. Peter told me someone filmed him making a uke a while back, but I never heard anything about it since. Beautifully shot in his shop Berkeley, California.

As you may recall I've owned a number of his ukes and still have the Olive Tenor that I will pass down to my daughter someday. The video features a koa concert I once owned played by Steven Strauss around the 21:17 mark. That sounded so good in his hands! I miss that one. Also shows a pic of my old Blondie Island Girl tenor. Sigh.

Anyway even if your not familiar with Pohaku it's certainly interesting to watch a master at his craft. Check out all the cool ukes featured at the end and all the cool toys he made in his house.

OMG, such beautiful instruments! Thanks for sharing. May I inquire as to the price range for his ukes?

OMG, such beautiful instruments! Thanks for sharing. May I inquire as to the price range for his ukes?

Ukes for sale is on his webpage, Luke. He's a master...be sure to check out his gallery. Just google his name.

I should have kept the baritone that I had; it was superb in every respect. It's the "one that got away".

I see in the future Pohaku Steampunk No. 6 in my buddy Eric's hands in his videos, oh, crystal ball.

Steve

Last edited:
Un-frikin'-believable! Those are stunning. And I had assumed his prices would be in the 2-5k USD range; I'd almost feel guilty for paying his low prices.

Now, I must come up with a way to get one without my wife divorcing me because of my UAS.

Not only does Peter make beautiful instruments, he's a wonderful person, too. I love going to his website just to see what crazy ideas he's come up with lately.

Beautiful film, captures every detail handcrafting, with his passion.

Oh no! The concerts and tenors disappeared overnight!

I know how Eric feels.

Eric has owned something like 3-4 of Peter's ukuleles. I owned one, and it sold and I shipped it and felt remorse at the post office and almost turned around. I seldom play Bari, so I let it go even though it was enchanted and enchanting, both.

My old baritone:
http://www.pohakuukulele.com/pages/curlykoabaritone.html

Honestly, those that love Peter's work--Jon, Eric, Craig, Ginnie, etc.--can attest to the fact that these are really lightweight, playable and lovely sounding instruments. One might guess that Peter puts visual appeal above sound, but it's quite the opposite. These are so refined, and are intoned so perfectly. I encourage anyone wanting a custom to order from Peter. When I see one in his store (other than a baritone) that pulls my chain, out will come the carta de credito.

Last edited:
Top Bottom