RIP Dennis Kamakahi

Brad Bordessa

Reaction score
Play a song for him tonight.

Truly a sad day for Hawaii. They have lost one of their greatest composers and an advocate for the people.
His music will live forever. Condolences to his ohana.

Hawaii lost a favorite son tonight. A wonderful man, musician, story teller and so much more to those that knew him well.
I just heard him sing and talk about Wahine Ilikea a few months ago, one of the 500 songs he wrote ( and the first I learned to play on the uke). He was always such a joy to watch. Mahalo and rest in peace Reverend Dennis Kamakahi.

I saw Hapa sing Wahine Ilikea with hula dancers and it was the best song IMO. RIP

A sad day for all of us who love Hawaiian music, he will be deeply missed. One of the high points in my life was getting some ki ho alu pointers and jamming with Dennis, George Kahumoku, and Cyril Pahanui after a concert they played here a few years ago.

"Wahine Ilikea "
One of my favorite Hawaiian songs.
Thanks for all the great music Reverend Dennis Kamakahi.
I too had the chance to see him in concert a few years ago during a California tour.

It's so sad that a great Hawaiian musician and songwriter is gone. I was lucky enough to meet Dennis through one of my ukulele instructors and to see him perform a few times. Mahalo for the wonderful music and the equally wonderful aloha spirit.

I was not familiar with Dennis' work, but have explored a bit today based on this news. What a loss. I thought this video of Far Away from HISessions might be appropriate to share. I've played it many times this morning.

Thank you for the wonderful music and comforting voice. RIP.

I am sad to hear Uncle Dennis lost his battle with cancer. What a great composer and musician. I was very fortunate to see him perform a few times, most recently at the Gabby Kanikapila in Waimanalo a few months ago. Wahine Ilikea, Koke`e, Pua Hone - he wrote so many great Hawaiian songs.
My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

How sad.

The first song that came up on my CD in the car this morning was Wahine Ilikea. I guess it was meant to be. What a beautiful song.

RIP.

He's my favorite composer - been listening to Golden Stallions all day.

Top Bottom