PDA

View Full Version : UAS struck so fast!

Bjblue2
04-29-2014, 02:53 AM
So, on a whim I bought a 'toyish' ukulele in January. Cute little orange Mahalo. (Soprano). Count 1. Who knew it could be so much fun. Quickly progressed to having a concert size nica tiki uke on order from Nica tiki ukulele in SJDS nicaragua. Count 1 with 1 on order.

And then.....I got a new job so my honey gave me some money for a shopping spree for a wardrobe and I accidentally included a Luna Honu tribal turtle soprano. Count 2 with 1 on order.

The same day, my honey shows up with an old ukulele that his father had bought him when he was 4-6. Got it back from his ex, as it had been sitting there gathering dust on the case. Been doing some research on it. Seems to be a Harmony baritone uke from the 50's ( based on label design). Has some lopsided wear on the nut but I put D'addario strings on it last night and they hold in place. I have no idea what it would cost to have someone replace the nut or if I even need to bother. Any suggestions? The body is in good shape, no cracks, certainly in as good shape as the ones I found on eBay for $295.

So there we have it. Count 3 with 1 on order. Does it ever stop? Still not much past learning some chords and some strumming patterns, and it may have more ukuleles than the average non talented needs.

Ukejenny
04-29-2014, 03:51 AM
No, it never stops. Thank goodness.

Congrats on all the new babies!

Condor
04-29-2014, 03:53 AM
No, it really hits hard.......check my sig, I also started around December 2013 ..........

RichM
04-29-2014, 04:24 AM
UAS? No, none of that here.... ;)

BTW, replacing the nut would be a pretty simple exercise for any qualified repair shop. Maybe $25....

bobinde
04-29-2014, 05:09 AM
UAS is not terminal, but it IS kinda permanent. And fun.

Regarding the possible nut replacement, I had one done on a guitar a few years ago and IIRC, it was about $45 - $50 dollars and that included some other setup stuff.

bobinde

actadh
04-29-2014, 07:50 AM
I started Christmas Eve 2013 with a spare gift that I didn't need to give out, which was a toy ukulele. I played it all that night and ordered a good concert one within weeks.

It took a long time to come in my instant gratification perception and being used to quick eBay delivery times - even though it was only about ten days and it was the great setup that was the delay, so no regrets there. But, I was antsy so I bought an inexpensive vintage one off Etsy to tide me over. Then, I saw the great tenor/soprano deal from Outdoor Ukulele, so I had an impulse buy of two more.

Now that there is going to be a slight building delay on the OU tenor which means I might not get it for a while, I have been eying the Tiny Tenor, which I absolutely do not need and is way more than I ever intended to spend, but.......

AKuker
04-29-2014, 08:31 AM
Nah, you're pretty much right on track! Have fun!
Randy

Bjblue2
04-29-2014, 09:01 AM
Whew. So it's just my honey that I have to convince this is normal.

Thanks for the advice on the repair cost. Now just gotta see who I can find that can do it.

It does seem an addictive habit I've gotten myself into.

B

DownUpDave
04-29-2014, 10:31 AM
Perfectly normal. So many songs.........need so many ukes

Just like the old Lays chips commerical "bet you just can't have one".

jcarlos
04-29-2014, 10:50 AM
No it never stops haha, its become a hobby for me and its not really as expensive as other hobbies that I could pursue or have been part of in the past. Most ukes are relatively cheap compared to other instruments and it becomes easy to acquire a good amount of them really fast.

Nickie
05-02-2014, 12:29 PM
Congrats and welcome to the disorder....I also have a 50s Harmony bari. A friend tried to buy it from me for $75 and I laughed at him. I told him I wouldn't take less than 300, it's in excellent shape. It sounds great! Wish the darn frets were'nt so far apart....

Bjblue2
05-02-2014, 04:14 PM
Excellent decision. I saw a couple around the 300 mark.

Roselynne
05-02-2014, 04:19 PM
The thing about ukuleles is ... they take up a lot less space than guitars. My findings are the result of in-depth research.

Bjblue2
05-02-2014, 04:46 PM
See that's what I love about this forum. Expert advice!

igorthebarbarian
05-02-2014, 09:25 PM
We're just going to enable your UAS. Like a bunch of uke-junkies!

See that's what I love about this forum. Expert advice!

rappsy
05-03-2014, 07:54 AM
My addiction started in January of this year. Up to 5 now. I spend more time on this forum than in actually playing.

If I played as much as I do reading about Ukes, I'd be touring with Jake by now.

wildfire070
05-03-2014, 09:44 AM
I just ordered one of their ukes as well. Can't wait until it gets here. Pictures of it were just gorgeous.

Quickly progressed to having a concert size nica tiki uke on order from Nica tiki ukulele in SJDS nicaragua.

Bjblue2
05-03-2014, 10:48 AM
Mine was just getting shipped at the end of the week or maybe this Monday and they told me it will take about three weeks. Good thing I bought another one last Sunday to tide me over.

Mivo
05-05-2014, 10:01 PM
It helps to buy an expensive ukulele early on. This achieves two things: a) you won't keep wondering if there is something better that you can afford, and b) you presumably won't be able or willing to buy more ukuleles in the same price category, but cheaper ones have less appeal since you have an expensive one already.

Well, one problem remains: The different sizes. So maybe buy three (or five) expensive ukuleles early on. ;)

Icelander53
05-06-2014, 02:20 AM
No, it never stops. Thank goodness.

Congrats on all the new babies!

This^^^

So relax and indulge.

( I've been playing since Xmas and my 7th is on the way) That's just the ones I'm keeping. I've sold three so far.

Icelander53
05-06-2014, 02:25 AM
It helps to buy an expensive ukulele early on. This achieves two things: a) you won't keep wondering if there is something better that you can afford, and b) you presumably won't be able or willing to buy more ukuleles in the same price category, but cheaper ones have less appeal since you have an expensive one already.

Well, one problem remains: The different sizes. So maybe buy three (or five) expensive ukuleles early on. ;)

Knowing human nature, while your solution sounds good on paper it likely won't pan out. You'll likely just be spending ten times as much and justifying it. :biglaugh:

rappsy
05-16-2014, 06:01 AM
I just ordered one of their ukes as well. Can't wait until it gets here. Pictures of it were just gorgeous.

I can't seem to find where the Niki Tikis are sold and where they are available. What is the pricing? On their website, it's not listed. Do you have to contact them to get a price & availability?

Inksplosive AL
05-16-2014, 07:22 AM
Hehe... I'm not looking at the marketplace, Im not...

DownUpDave
05-16-2014, 11:07 AM
Hehe... I'm not looking at the marketplace, Im not...

Marketplace.........Marketplace.......I haven't been there yet today. Excuse me, please

Steveperrywriter
05-16-2014, 11:55 AM
Yes, UAS does stop. Right after my next one. Well, actually, right after the one after that it stops. I am sure of it.

Nickie
05-16-2014, 11:55 AM
Marketplace.........Marketplace.......I haven't been there yet today. Excuse me, please

ha ha you guys kill me.....it's nice knwoing I'm not alone in my disorder....

wildfire070
05-16-2014, 12:26 PM
I contacted them directly from their website. http://fanguitarandukulele.com also has a couple in stock.

I can't seem to find where the Niki Tikis are sold and where they are available. What is the pricing? On their website, it's not listed. Do you have to contact them to get a price & availability?

peaceweaver3
05-16-2014, 02:58 PM
I do not know this Marketplace of which you speak...

Oh wait, that's where all the drooling happens, right? :D

UAS didn't hit me until I joined UU. I was perfectly happy with one uke, though admittedly it was a "good" solid wood uke with a sound I liked, for several years. After joining UU? Forget it, it's been a battle ever since! But I cannot, in good conscience, tell people not to join UU... So bring on the UAS!

Every uke should come with some kind of warning label. But maybe not, people would just laugh it off anyway - "It won't happen to me!" *Insert evil laughter*

rappsy
05-16-2014, 03:06 PM
I do not know this Marketplace of which you speak...

Oh wait, that's where all the drooling happens, right? :D

UAS didn't hit me until I joined UU. I was perfectly happy with one uke, though admittedly it was a "good" solid wood uke with a sound I liked, for several years. After joining UU? Forget it, it's been a battle ever since! But I cannot, in good conscience, tell people not to join UU... So bring on the UAS!

Every uke should come with some kind of warning label. But maybe not, people would just laugh it off anyway - "It won't happen to me!" *Insert evil laughter*

A warning from the Ukulele General! This is habit forming... Run while you can: A Uke in one hand and an empty wallet in the other.

rappsy
05-16-2014, 03:08 PM
I contacted them directly from their website. http://fanguitarandukulele.com also has a couple in stock.

I went to the site you told me about above and couldn't find it with a search. Do you have a direct link? I don't know why I can't find it.

wildfire070
05-16-2014, 04:53 PM
Sorry, should've mentioned that I also emailed them directly. I know they carry Nica Tiki ukes because I saw their YouTube review of it and also this thread http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?90758-Nica-Tiki-Ukulele

http://youtu.be/yzlb27-Wpmc

coolkayaker1
05-16-2014, 05:09 PM
UAS does, indeed, strike fast, bjblue.

But, on the bright side: when one has been playing ukulele for a couple years, almost without fail, they settle in on keeping the 15-20 ukes that mean the most to them, and UAS ebbs.

KnowsPickin
05-16-2014, 05:23 PM
My name is Bill and I'm a ukeholic.

I started with a Kala spalted maple tenor. I progressed to a Mainland classic mahogany tenor. With a short detour to an inexpensive, but cute Kala steampunk ukadelic, I am currently plotting and planning to get a Mya Moe tenor, beautiful but pricey.

Why couldn't I have picked a nice inexpensive hobby like cocaine. :-)

[sigh[

DownUpDave
05-16-2014, 11:29 PM
I went to the site you told me about above and couldn't find it with a search. Do you have a direct link? I don't know why I can't find it.

This is classic UAS, poor rappsy, you can almost hear the desperation in his voice because he can't find out pricing and how to order.

Uke in one hand and an empty wallet in the other, indeed. Oh by the way my Nika Tici will be shipped to me on May 22nd. :p

Down Up Dick
05-17-2014, 04:37 AM
All this talk about UAS is silly--just made-up stuff. I bought my Ukes simply because I neeeed them-really--I do!

Bjblue2
05-17-2014, 06:23 AM
Search nica tiki ukuleles or try ukulelesnicaragua(dot)com . also a new line, cocobolo ukuleles, you can search that on Facebook. Same guys.

rappsy
05-17-2014, 07:50 AM
This is classic UAS, poor rappsy, you can almost hear the desperation in his voice because he can't find out pricing and how to order.

Uke in one hand and an empty wallet in the other, indeed. Oh by the way my Nika Tici will be shipped to me on May 22nd. :p

After re-reading the last few messages, you are right. You can ALMOST hear the desperation.... I guess I'll have to moan louder... Let us know how you like the Nica? It looks gorgeous.

JayMadison
05-17-2014, 12:40 PM
So there we have it. Count 3 with 1 on order. Does it ever stop? Still not much past learning some chords and some strumming patterns, and it may have more ukuleles than the average non talented needs.

Is it such a bad thing? It's like any other kinda collecting, just more fun.

Rllink
05-18-2014, 04:36 AM
I am trying very hard to not catch UAS. I have one ukulele. When I first got interested in learning to play the ukulele, I looked high and low for a music store with a large inventory of ukes so that I could try them out. I could not find one within 50 miles. Well, I bought a ukulele on line a couple of months ago, and just the other day I found out that there is a music store just thirty miles from me that has all kinds of ukuleles. Where were they when I was looking for a ukulele? So on Friday I went down there to check them out. I had a real hard time walking out of there without a new uke. They still haunt me, two days later, but I'm going to stay strong.

DownUpDave
05-18-2014, 05:12 AM
I am trying very hard to not catch UAS. I have one ukulele. When I first got interested in learning to play the ukulele, I looked high and low for a music store with a large inventory of ukes so that I could try them out. I could not find one within 50 miles. Well, I bought a ukulele on line a couple of months ago, and just the other day I found out that there is a music store just thirty miles from me that has all kinds of ukuleles. Where were they when I was looking for a ukulele? So on Friday I went down there to check them out. I had a real hard time walking out of there without a new uke. They still haunt me, two days later, but I'm going to stay strong.

" but I'm going to stay strong"..............famous last words.

I was following your thread about Your Playing the Ukulele and it seems like you have made great progress with your over all skills and playing level.

Guaranteed way to bring that to a grinding halt is UAS. You spend all your avaialable practice time looking at, reading about and listening to sound sample of different ukes. DON'T DO IT! TURN BACK NOW

Rllink
05-19-2014, 04:42 AM
" but I'm going to stay strong"..............famous last words.

I was following your thread about Your Playing the Ukulele and it seems like you have made great progress with your over all skills and playing level.

Guaranteed way to bring that to a grinding halt is UAS. You spend all your avaialable practice time looking at, reading about and listening to sound sample of different ukes. DON'T DO IT! TURN BACK NOWInteresting comment Dave. That has happened to me with several things that I started into in my life and that have now passed.

DownUpDave
05-19-2014, 08:29 AM
Interesting comment Dave. That has happened to me with several things that I started into in my life and that have now passed.

I went through the same thing with golf. I starting playing about 12 yeard ago, took lessons, praticed a lot and within 4 years was shooting in the mid 80s which is very good. Then I found WRX golf which is much like this website except for golf. I bought all kinds of different equipment, spent more time buying, selling and trying out different stuff then actually improving. You get the idea.

Nothing wrong with a few good instruments that you really enjoy. I have three and another on the way. I have made myself a promise that I am keeping, structured constant practice and playing is priority #1.

wildfire070
05-22-2014, 02:24 PM

Have you gotten your Nica Tiki in yet? Curious to see what you think of it.

Bjblue2
05-22-2014, 03:21 PM

I got it! Just came in Tuesday. Wish I was a better player, but practice practice. So far I'm loving it. Good sound, and it's beautiful!

Bjblue2
05-22-2014, 03:22 PM

Oops. Seems my picture attaching skills require practice also. Here's the front.

wildfire070
05-22-2014, 04:16 PM
Nice! Just got mine in today but haven't had a chance to really play with it yet. Holiday weekend here with a nephew's graduation as well so got friends and family at the house and not enough quiet time yet. Pics to post tomorrow morning. Also got a Kiwaya KS1 and a Bruko no. 6 in this past week so it's been like NUD x3 and UAS frenzy for me.

wildfire070
05-23-2014, 03:25 AM
Picture time! So far I think the Cocobolo uke (Nica Tiki) is very mellow and warm. It's well built and finished for a completely handmade uke with Nicaraguan sourced wood. The only thing I've noticed is that it's got a bit of weight to it...towards the neck/headstock. I play with straps on my ukes so not a big deal but just something to note. I mentioned it to Kevin, one of the main guys behind NicaTiki/Cocobolo, and they're looking into different species of mahogany that will be lighter. Seems like they're always working towards improving their line of ukes. Overall, I really like it. The wood grain is beautiful.
67005 67006
67007 67008

wildfire070
05-23-2014, 03:35 AM
Also some shots of the Bruko and Kiwaya and of the group. UAS hits us all.
67009 67010
67011 67012
Out of all of them I tend to pick up the pocket uke the most. I just really love the sound of it, especially with Worth Brown strings and tuned to aDF#B. The next most played is the KPK. And I have a feeling the next go-to player will be the Kiwaya. It's so light and the action is oh so comfortable. And for a laminate, it sounds amazing.

Ukejenny
05-23-2014, 06:12 AM
Gorgeous photos of all your ukes. I love the sides on your newest addition - the contrasting wood is beautiful.

Another good thing about having a wonderful instrument, it makes you want to play up to that potential, so I believe the better the instrument the more you will want to honor it and practice. If you are a motivated player and student, an instrument upgrade usually helps you get to the next level and beyond.

Cocobolo Ukuleles
05-23-2014, 07:39 AM

I got it! Just came in Tuesday. Wish I was a better player, but practice practice. So far I'm loving it. Good sound, and it's beautiful!

Pretty pictures! I am glad to hear that you like it!

Kevin

Cocobolo Ukuleles
05-23-2014, 09:52 AM
Picture time! So far I think the Cocobolo uke (Nica Tiki) is very mellow and warm. It's well built and finished for a completely handmade uke with Nicaraguan sourced wood. The only thing I've noticed is that it's got a bit of weight to it...towards the neck/headstock. I play with straps on my ukes so not a big deal but just something to note. I mentioned it to Kevin, one of the main guys behind NicaTiki/Cocobolo, and they're looking into different species of mahogany that will be lighter. Seems like they're always working towards improving their line of ukes. Overall, I really like it. The wood grain is beautiful.
67005 67006
67007 67008

Beautiful pictures! I am really happy to hear that your ukulele arrived safely and that you are happy with its 'very mellow and warm sound'. We are lucky to have access to such amazing Nicaraguan cocobolo and mahogany.

Like you say, we are committed to continually improving our ukuleles. We have really made a lot of progress over the last year. We have just started experimenting with a lighter variety of mahogany for the heel, neck and soundboards, and it looks like it is going to be much lighter overall. Access to high-quality tonewoods for ukulele construction purposes is difficult in this part of the world, but we have found a good source of what my luthier is calling 'caoba embra', which translates to female mahogany. In the past we have only been able to use what he calls, 'caoba macho', or male mahogany, which is harder and slightly heavier.

I don't know the scientific names for the 2 species, but I do know that this will make our ukes lighter, and potentially even sound better if the wood is truly less dense and softer. Like you say, our ukes sound great as is, so this will be a fun development for us. Our first group of ukuleles with the new mahogany is expected to be finished next week. I will keep you posted on the results.

Thanks again for posting your pictures! I am very happy to hear that you are enjoying your new ukulele.

Kevin