UAS struck so fast!

Bjblue2

Reaction score
So, on a whim I bought a 'toyish' ukulele in January. Cute little orange Mahalo. (Soprano). Count 1. Who knew it could be so much fun. Quickly progressed to having a concert size nica tiki uke on order from Nica tiki ukulele in SJDS nicaragua. Count 1 with 1 on order.

And then.....I got a new job so my honey gave me some money for a shopping spree for a wardrobe and I accidentally included a Luna Honu tribal turtle soprano. Count 2 with 1 on order.

The same day, my honey shows up with an old ukulele that his father had bought him when he was 4-6. Got it back from his ex, as it had been sitting there gathering dust on the case. Been doing some research on it. Seems to be a Harmony baritone uke from the 50's ( based on label design). Has some lopsided wear on the nut but I put D'addario strings on it last night and they hold in place. I have no idea what it would cost to have someone replace the nut or if I even need to bother. Any suggestions? The body is in good shape, no cracks, certainly in as good shape as the ones I found on eBay for $295.

So there we have it. Count 3 with 1 on order. Does it ever stop? Still not much past learning some chords and some strumming patterns, and it may have more ukuleles than the average non talented needs.

No, it never stops. Thank goodness.

Congrats on all the new babies!

No, it really hits hard.......check my sig, I also started around December 2013 ..........

UAS? No, none of that here.... ;)

BTW, replacing the nut would be a pretty simple exercise for any qualified repair shop. Maybe $25....

UAS is not terminal, but it IS kinda permanent. And fun.

Regarding the possible nut replacement, I had one done on a guitar a few years ago and IIRC, it was about $45 - $50 dollars and that included some other setup stuff.

bobinde

I started Christmas Eve 2013 with a spare gift that I didn't need to give out, which was a toy ukulele. I played it all that night and ordered a good concert one within weeks.

It took a long time to come in my instant gratification perception and being used to quick eBay delivery times - even though it was only about ten days and it was the great setup that was the delay, so no regrets there. But, I was antsy so I bought an inexpensive vintage one off Etsy to tide me over. Then, I saw the great tenor/soprano deal from Outdoor Ukulele, so I had an impulse buy of two more.

Now that there is going to be a slight building delay on the OU tenor which means I might not get it for a while, I have been eying the Tiny Tenor, which I absolutely do not need and is way more than I ever intended to spend, but.......

Whew. So it's just my honey that I have to convince this is normal.

Thanks for the advice on the repair cost. Now just gotta see who I can find that can do it.

It does seem an addictive habit I've gotten myself into.

B

Perfectly normal. So many songs.........need so many ukes

Just like the old Lays chips commerical "bet you just can't have one".

No it never stops haha, its become a hobby for me and its not really as expensive as other hobbies that I could pursue or have been part of in the past. Most ukes are relatively cheap compared to other instruments and it becomes easy to acquire a good amount of them really fast.

Congrats and welcome to the disorder....I also have a 50s Harmony bari. A friend tried to buy it from me for $75 and I laughed at him. I told him I wouldn't take less than 300, it's in excellent shape. It sounds great! Wish the darn frets were'nt so far apart....

The thing about ukuleles is ... they take up a lot less space than guitars. My findings are the result of in-depth research.

My addiction started in January of this year. Up to 5 now. I spend more time on this forum than in actually playing.

If I played as much as I do reading about Ukes, I'd be touring with Jake by now.

Last edited:
I just ordered one of their ukes as well. Can't wait until it gets here. Pictures of it were just gorgeous.

Quickly progressed to having a concert size nica tiki uke on order from Nica tiki ukulele in SJDS nicaragua.

Mine was just getting shipped at the end of the week or maybe this Monday and they told me it will take about three weeks. Good thing I bought another one last Sunday to tide me over.

It helps to buy an expensive ukulele early on. This achieves two things: a) you won't keep wondering if there is something better that you can afford, and b) you presumably won't be able or willing to buy more ukuleles in the same price category, but cheaper ones have less appeal since you have an expensive one already.

Well, one problem remains: The different sizes. So maybe buy three (or five) expensive ukuleles early on. ;)

Top Bottom