String combo with expensive low G

flailingfingers

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm using Savarez Alliance Ukulele set 150R for the E,A and C strings and adding a Savarez Cantiga Polished silver wound bass 514 RH for the low G. I really like the combo but the cost is a bit high what with the Cantiga costing almost $10 for the single string. Anyone had experience with this string? Anyone found a wound low G string that is as good at less cost?

There are some options as far a price goes. Someone here uses the Savarez Corum as a low g, Olde Pharte uses Thomastik-Infeld, I also read of someone using Aranjuez . . . these are way less than $10 but basically comes down to how it sounds and feels to you.

The Kinnards I played at the Reno Ukefest had Worth clears with an Aquila wound low G. I was impressed enough to order a few of the Aquilas.

A lot of people like the HML-RW low G linear set. I like the ML-SW. I am a big fan of Southcoasts. It is all I put on my CR.

The Kinnards I played at the Reno Ukefest had Worth clears with an Aquila wound low G. I was impressed enough to order a few of the Aquilas.

Do you know what the Worth clears were? They have a multitude of choices to say the least. Collings uses Savarez with the Aquila wound low G.

I use Savarez Alliance strings as well, but the 540 series for the A,E, and C. I also use the Cantiga polished wound for my low G. The Cantiga replaced the Corum polished wound which they discontinued for some reason. The cost of the Cantiga is similar to what the Corum used to cost. While it is not inexpensive as you say, it is my favorite wound string for low G. Newportlocal was referring to Southcoast sting sets, which are excellent but not inexpensive either.

I find that the Cantiga lasts fairly long for a wound string. And although I have never tried it, some people say that you can switch them around end for end to get more life out of them. This would make sense as the winding eventually separates a little around the most commonly played frets

I used to use fremont squekless but now I don't use anything but Southcoasts on all my ukuleles. Dirk just made my a 5 string set and the wound G and C are very good.

Do you know what the Worth clears were? They have a multitude of choices to say the least. Collings uses Savarez with the Aquila wound low G.

It is my understanding that dealers typically order the CT version for tenors. CTs are described on the Worth site as being the "standard" tenor string. All of the Worth Clears I have ever purchased were CTs.

Thanks all. Lots of good info. I'm going to try some (not all) of the strings recommended but as I said initially, I'm very happy with the combo I have now...just interested if there was a low G as good as the Cantiga I now use but maybe a bit less pricey. When all is said and done, paying $20 for a set of strings that last 3 months (?) is a good deal considering the pleasure derived. The difference in cost with an inexpensive set is $10 at the most. I'll just skip a couple of large designer coffee drinks.

Hey Flailing...Not familiar with the Savarez, but I generally use the Fremont Squeekless Low G with my string set. Just bought a couple at the Reno fest for $3 ea. Uke Republic has them.

http://ukerepublic.bigcartel.com/product/fremont-soloist-squeakless-wound-low-g

Agree on the Fremont. I can't stand squeak and this string has none. Though it has some movement sound, not a squeak but something, and the tention on that string can be different from the others. But that depends on the other strings - I tried it with Worth Brown mediums for CEA, and Fremont Blackline mediums. The Fremont set was more balanced in feel/tention with this string than the Worths. Still, I like that string and will be using it for a while.

PSA: +1 for "the kid's uke" or a beater if you will, so you can test strings before putting them on your fave uke. I learned this the hard way. LOL

Thanks all. Lots of good info. I'm going to try some (not all) of the strings recommended but as I said initially, I'm very happy with the combo I have now...just interested if there was a low G as good as the Cantiga I now use but maybe a bit less pricey. When all is said and done, paying $20 for a set of strings that last 3 months (?) is a good deal considering the pleasure derived. The difference in cost with an inexpensive set is $10 at the most. I'll just skip a couple of large designer coffee drinks.

I just paid $3.95 and $1.19 in postage to order a Fremont Soloist low-G string from HMS (one size fits all but bari). Gonna put it on a tenor that's now strung with low-G Worth clears, and replace CEA strings with Aquila Reds, which I just ordered for $4.99 and free shipping from Strings and Beyond. I have the same setup on another tenor, and I like the tone a lot.

Top Bottom