PDA

View Full Version : Do you give your uke a name ?

somebaudy
04-29-2014, 05:06 AM
I'm thinking of giving my Yellow Mahalo a name (I call the mouse in my appartment my cat won't catch Helvetica because I seer her everyday at the same hour).

Is it usual among uke players ?

DaveY
04-29-2014, 05:13 AM
It's usual among some uke players, not among others. Here's a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnng thread on it: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?227-Whats-your-Ukes-Name

I don't name my ukuleles (or my piano, harmonica, amps, cables, etc.). But to each his/her own, just as with high G vs. low G, soprano vs. tenor, mahogany vs. koa, and so on.

PhilUSAFRet
04-29-2014, 05:16 AM
I have less than lovingly referred to some of my ukes as "you piece of s..t"

coolkayaker1
04-29-2014, 05:23 AM
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?58947-What-s-up-with-naming-your-ukulele&highlight=naming

Fairly popular topic on UU, epic thread in 2011 from DaveY, and this one from 2012; I think there was one on here within the past six months, but I could be wrong. So I guess some do name their ukes. Cool to ask again, though. I do not name my ukuleles.

mikelz777
04-29-2014, 05:27 AM
Either "old uke" or "first uke" and "new uke" or by their brand names. I'm not into anthropomorphizing inanimate objects.

Wicked
04-29-2014, 05:56 AM
I name everything I own - but I name it all "Steve," so I won't forget the names.

OldePhart
04-29-2014, 06:18 AM
I name everything I own - but I name it all "Steve," so I won't forget the names.

BWAAA-HAAAA.

I don't name anything that won't come if I call it. Of course...there were times when I wondered why I named my kids...

John

Teek
04-29-2014, 06:45 AM
They are all just designated by maker as in "The (insert brand name)". Except for the Martin baritone, it is called "The Alpha Uke".

actadh
04-29-2014, 07:38 AM
I don't name them, but my husband refers to my concert as my "skeeter" because of the inlaid dragonflies.

Bookworm
04-29-2014, 07:41 AM
I've been trying to think of a name for my ukulele. I'm thinking about going with Rue (from The Hunger Games.)

The Big Kahuna
04-29-2014, 08:25 AM
"Primum Multarum"

barefootgypsy
04-29-2014, 08:44 AM
I've got ten ukes but only one earned itself a name - the spruce top, maple back and sides that immediately got the name "Blondie"....

SoCal Ukester 713
04-29-2014, 08:52 AM
Only my Bushman uke -- her name is Jenny.

kwall
04-29-2014, 09:56 AM
I name all my ukulele's cause they all have a personality. I think I get it from my dad who names his cars. They deserve a name if you love it and are attached I'd say go for it.

kwall
04-29-2014, 10:15 AM
though I do name them, I also dont expect people to know the name or when i mention them i mention it by brand like oh i brought my soprano or pono today. The personal names are for me only :P (so people dont think im crazy)

ChrisDeston821
04-29-2014, 10:37 AM
For when I'm referring to them to Jess I had names for them and it's something that's stuck now.

My mahalo is nameless and is often referred to only awkwardly in past tense as "my first.."
But there's Ovah (like Oprah but Ovah) which is my Ovation Applause EleAcoustic.
Then there's Ellie which is my Risa Uke Solid ELEctric.

Jess has recently bought herself a uke, a baritone, and I jokingly said who's this? Barry?
To which she abruptly corrected me; it's not a boy. It's Betty. Big Betty the Baritone with a Blue and Brown Bow.

Also, I've ordered a newbie to (hopefully soon) join the family - her name's Dora, she'll be my Outdoor Tenor Uke
Along with her freebie little sister who'll be called Ow (like OUtdoor? But also like she's gunna be thrown about and left everywhere haha)

wickedwahine11
04-29-2014, 10:38 AM
I do name them, but I also named every car I ever owned, and every cat...and none of those have ever come when I called them either.