Incomplete Seasons

max2173

Reaction score
I've been wanting to ask this for a while, and it's really not meant to be disrespectful, I'm just wondering. Which Seasons are still "incomplete", i.e. no "winner" was announced and, if it happened to be your Season, why?

Again, this isn't meant to show anyone up, and nor is it supposed to be spiteful. I'm genuinely just wondering.

Week 76 - "Jerry Garcia's Birthday" and Week 99 - "Selling Out" are the only two that I know of that didn't announce winners. Oh! and Week 113 - The most awesome week ever... "Yacht Rock" has yet to announce the winners. Come on 29moons, figure it out.

I plead guilty to not having dealt with season 96, the holiday songs week. It kinda got lost/forgotten with holidays and then with family problems during the first part of this year so I tended to forget and also never sorted out prizes. I must get round to it sometime. I did do one season - Christmas week 2012 - where I deliberately did not award a prize.

50 is the one I always remember. Elvis left the building, like, really. :p

I will also always remember 50. First one to go belly up.

Week 76 - "Jerry Garcia's Birthday" and Week 99 - "Selling Out" are the only two that I know of that didn't announce winners. Oh! and Week 113

86 (Disney/Queen/Opera) is also still in the wind, as I recall.

So: 50, 76, 86, 96, 99?

5 out of 115 isn't a bad failure rate.

The thread "putting it all together for the seasons of the Ukulele" should have it listed right?

I'm real bad about not going back to see what the results were. I was going through the thread that I mentioned above a week or so back just to see who'd won what.

Unfortunately 'Life' can happen upon those kind enough to host as it can with those who participate.
I personally don't need to know a reason 'why' as an apology is usually given and thats more than enough for me.

However serial offenders should have their feet birched and be taken shackled before the Court of Supreme Sopranos and have their Nylguts forcibly removed !! Lol

Last edited:
I really like these seasons.
For me it is about the songs that people bring to meet the week's theme and checking them out - not about a host's particular style.
But hosting has responsibilities IMHO and closing the thing off in one way or another is one of them.
As has been said 5 out of 115 means that most people who agree to host understand what is involved and those 5 have provided a topic for forum discussion on more than one occasion.
I actually thought 115 might have been the first season to go belly up but it was saved by some good coordinating from Ralf and step up hosting by BEVOMU. (And I know Jon offered to bring his forward too).
Well done you two!

It was good to see that an impromptu season sprouted with the waiting theme so I'm encouraged that something weekly will happen here no matter what.:)

Aloha folks!
Yes, I know I still need to finish off my season 76 - Happy Birthday Jerry!
I was OVERWHELMED by the number of entries.
I did watch them all, and I do have my favorites, and I do have my awards ready.
Over the last few months, I have dealt with illness, high turnover at work leaving us short staffed, one month with 29 days worked in a row, and many evenings and weekends worked. So please forgive me if the free time I have had of late has been spent catching up on life.
So, I will complete my season, I assure you I will, when I can.
I have said it before, I doff my cap to everyone else who has hosted and to all the participants, it is great fun! I will be better prepared next time!

Oh, and I need to get the Little White Uke video too! My Hawaiian performer had bronchitis and is now healed but has been at the Merrie Monarch festival on the Big Island and is heading to Kauai today - but next week will be back on Oahu. So that will be on its way too. Phew!

Yeah, there is an agreement to do things a certain way.

I know I'm a little bit looser on rules than a lot of us but I don't think a host really owes us anything. As we were discussing this weekend, it's a volunteer job. It's to help other people have some fun and to have some in the process. I like closure as much as anyone but I'm also content to remember that I had a good, heck a great time during a couple of those seasons. "What's past is prologue, what to come, in yours and my discharge." somebody said. I can go with that. Besides, I love it when people are kind to me even though I am guaranteed to screw up with some regularity.

Maybe there's a method though, as those few seasons get mentioned more than any other past seasons I believe.

Really looking forward to the Hawaiian episode of the LWU Pueo.
And I remember the Jerry week very fondly. Lots of fun and good music.
That's what the seasons are about.

I really like these seasons… But hosting has responsibilities IMHO and closing the thing off in one way or another is one of them.
Yeah, there is an agreement to do things a certain way.
:agree:
but I don't think a host really owes us anything.
As we were discussing this weekend, it's a volunteer job.
Absolutely; no one is made to host and they don’t have to do so but hosts have volunteered and agreed “yes, I will do this” and it’s a bit of a let-down I suppose at the end… Before agreeing people no doubt read Ralf’s thread on hosting and I’m sure the guidelines and tips post said hosts are to do their best to choose and announce a winner within one week of the seasons close.

I know, of course, life often gets in our way but hosts often pick weeks where they have more time to devote themselves, they often follow and comment on the videos as they go along, they often have a prize prepared before beginning the season and I would have thought keeping favourites in your mind (if judging and not drawing a random winner from a hat) would mean for a relatively quicker and easier decision process come the end of your season. Followed with a 5 minute video to round everything off? The most recent inconclusive is 4 months ago did we say? Do people not have a spare 5 minutes every 4 months?

Hosts have been getting ill come the ends of their seasons lately and I understand not feeling great and prioritising other things but I dunno… If you’ve not had a chance to view the vids, if somethings come up midweek or whatever and you’ve become overwhelmed then falling behind is understandable but if you’ve already gone through and commented/reviewed everyones then there’s no reason to have no winner… Just my 2 cents and I hope I’m not coming across as an ass :)

Massive props to anyone who takes on hosting one of these things ... the amount of time, energy, and focus required is clearly enormous. Superhuman, even. I rather suspect the high number of hosts who've gotten sick at the tail end of their weeks lately is not at all coincidental - they've given all they had to give and beyond what was healthy for them, quite possibly, in many cases. God bless every one of you!

I commented on every single video two Seasons ago, and that alone nearly did me in. (Oh, yeah, well, I also made three videos that week....) I sacrificed a heck of a lot of sleep, work, and other things to do it. I don't think I will be doing that again any time soon.

I have been building quite a long list of really fun Seasons ideas I'd love to host, in a perfect world, but so far I have not been able to figure out when I could possibly devote a whole week to one of them. I am deeply, humbly grateful to anyone who takes on such an undertaking. You are all saints in my book.

And, we are all perfectly imperfectly human, and we all have our capacities ... and Seasons hosting seems to push us many of us to our limits.

I personally don't care whether a Season gets "resolved" or not ... whether a particular host does everything another host does or not ... I just appreciate that we get to play, and that the space to do so continues miraculously to appear and thrive, somehow, week after week. I mean, yeah, if you're promising a ukulele or something, please do award it, if you possibly can ... but otherwise ... to me I win a prize every week I get to participate.

And I appreciate whoever creates the opportunity to do so each time, regardless of what happens after Saturday night. Or Sunday night. Or whatever. Seasons hosts rock. Every single one of you! No matter what you do or don't do.

Is it more fun when the host is engaged and involved and awards cool prizes promptly in a fun closing video? Of course it is. Is it any less fun when they don't? Not to me. (Did I just contradict myself? You bet I did. So sue me. It's all true nonetheless.)

Love and peace and ukulele to every one of us too-human humans,
Wendy

Wendy makes some good points here (thanks Wendy). As she mentions commenting on every single video in a season, I'd like to comment on that. There are videos of my own that I've deleted when I bumped into them and thought, "There isn't a kind comment I could possibly make about that". A fellow you tuber that many of you know often comments to his friends with one word, "Super". There are vids of mine where that was the only comment. I appreciate his efforts.

AND, yes, I agree that hosts enter into a sort of verbal contract with the group but I submit that what they've done in running the rest of the season far outweighs any minor problem it might cause us that there wasn't a tally at the end.

You've heard of re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic? We'll complaining that we need one more thing from a host who's already done us a huge favor is kinda like complaining about the gas mileage on the Magic Schoolbus to my thinking.

Since we're sort of a video group, I'll repost something from a discussion a while ago with my thinking on following all the rules to the letter:

Love,
alan

Massive props to anyone who takes on hosting one of these things ... the amount of time, energy, and focus required is clearly enormous. Superhuman, even...

... whether a particular host does everything another host does or not ... I just appreciate that we get to play, and that the space to do so continues miraculously to appear and thrive, somehow, week after week. ... to me I win a prize every week I get to participate.

And I appreciate whoever creates the opportunity to do so each time, regardless of what happens after Saturday night. Or Sunday night. Or whatever. Seasons hosts rock. Every single one of you! No matter what you do or don't do.

Love and peace and ukulele to every one of us too-human humans,
Wendy
:agree: Well said Wendy!! It's all good. And all fun. And Thank You hosts (whether your season resolved or not) We have fun all week every week and that's what it's all about.

Thank you, Max for being gentle in calling us non-completers out. Your inquiry is well taken, and it gives me the perfect opportunity to confess and bare my soul for something I've felt guilty about for about a year now, the incompletion of Season 69, Songs to Teach By, the one and only season I've hosted. Not been mentioned by the others in the list on incomplete seasons, but I certainly feel it was.

See, I got too ambitious and complicated in my judging criteria. I picked 6 semi-finalists that I liked and then planned on using those songs as material at my job teaching English at a Bangkok high school. The students would vote for their favorites. Unfortunately, my bosses didn't like the idea of me using valuable class time to pursue a personal project, whatever the education value. Furthermore, half my classrooms didn't have working A/V systems with which I could play the vids for my students. I managed to show one vid (Xommen's) to a class and made a worksheet for it, but that was it. I gave up on my judging criteria and let the 6 co-winners just sit.

Never sent any prizes out either.

My bad. I apologize to my fellow Seasonistas. My failure is kinda why I've never asked to be a host since, and now in Myanmar, I can't be a host because I can't watch videos. I can upload. Usually what I do is set my video to upload before I go to bed, and by morning, it's done. It takes 4-6 hours to upload a 4 minute video. It takes about an hour to watch or download a 4 minute video. So, I can't host.

This does give me the chance to just name a winner though. My favorite video from Season 69, and the NOW OFFICIAL WINNER... is...

is...

wait for it...

ONLY UKE THAT MATTERS' Friday, I'm in Love!!

Big round of applause for a long overdue recognition of a very well done performance!!!

Again, I've sorry I kind of left people hanging in the playoff round, but let this be a lesson to future hosts: don't be too complicated in your judging stage. Hosting is hard work, and at the end of it, you don't want to have a whole new set of challenges. Keep it simple.

Thank you, Max for being gentle in calling us non-completers out. Your inquiry is well taken, and it gives me the perfect opportunity to confess and bare my soul for something I've felt guilty about for about a year now, the incompletion of Season 69, Songs to Teach By, the one and only season I've hosted. Not been mentioned by the others in the list on incomplete seasons, but I certainly feel it was.

See, I got too ambitious and complicated in my judging criteria. I picked 6 semi-finalists that I liked and then planned on using those songs as material at my job teaching English at a Bangkok high school. The students would vote for their favorites. Unfortunately, my bosses didn't like the idea of me using valuable class time to pursue a personal project, whatever the education value. Furthermore, half my classrooms didn't have working A/V systems with which I could play the vids for my students. I managed to show one vid (Xommen's) to a class and made a worksheet for it, but that was it. I gave up on my judging criteria and let the 6 co-winners just sit.

Never sent any prizes out either.

My bad. I apologize to my fellow Seasonistas. My failure is kinda why I've never asked to be a host since, and now in Myanmar, I can't be a host because I can't watch videos. I can upload. Usually what I do is set my video to upload before I go to bed, and by morning, it's done. It takes 4-6 hours to upload a 4 minute video. It takes about an hour to watch or download a 4 minute video. So, I can't host.

This does give me the chance to just name a winner though. My favorite video from Season 69, and the NOW OFFICIAL WINNER... is...

is...

wait for it...

ONLY UKE THAT MATTERS' Friday, I'm in Love!!

Big round of applause for a long overdue recognition of a very well done performance!!!

Again, I've sorry I kind of left people hanging in the playoff round, but let this be a lesson to future hosts: don't be too complicated in your judging stage. Hosting is hard work, and at the end of it, you don't want to have a whole new set of challenges. Keep it simple.

Victory is like fine wine, it can get better with age. Thanks!

Joko, now you're a role model for hosts of the other "lost" Seasons. Never too late to announce winners, y'all.

Don't we always forgive family. That is what we are right? All is cool with me anyway. Glad you were able to get that monkey off your back. It was nice to give this another listen. Most of the time I mean to go back to Seasons I enjoyed but never seem to get there. This is a great entry and very deserving of being a winnner :)

Congratulations Ralph. If you hadn't have won I would have never seen this vid and it was great:) A 50 week wait. Thats like being pregnant for an entire year and then boom...There it is! A big bundle of joy and you didn't even see it coming! Fantastic surprise :D

Top Bottom