I did a bad thing

Captain Simian

Reaction score
Post Deleted

Last edited:
Good luck amigo. They always find out.

Usually I wouldn't be to concerned about getting some flak but we started watching Breaking Bad and she took great interest on how they got rid of bodies on the show.

Tell her to find a quiet place in the desert to do the deed. It would be easier than getting ahold of some of those chemicals.

Good luck brother - I share your pain.
I've got one on the way from the States that hasn't been "declared".
Worst case scenario - it turns up on the doorstep when I'm not here, and she is.
Best I tell her soon. Maybe tomorrow......................

At least it's not a baritone. In my experience, the size of the unexpected package has a big impact on the subsequent length of time spent in the doghouse.

Yeah, and in this case, that dog house would have at least one flea in it

I bought something I shouldn't have. I got a Flea soprano off the Guitar Center used site. It was too good a deal to say no to. Normally not a big deal be we recently had a couple of unexpected major expenses come up. It arrived today and so far she hasn't noticed.

Usually I wouldn't be to concerned about getting some flak but we started watching Breaking Bad and she took great interest on how they got rid of bodies on the show. She even commented on how it'd be easier than a woodchipper, her prior preferential way of getting rid of evidence if I ended up pissing her off enough. Maybe I'll blame it on the kid; she's due to get in trouble for something anyway.

Speaking as the wife who once successfully spirited two 6-string dreadnaughts (or, depending on brand, dreadnoughts) into the house ... please let the kid get into trouble on her own time!

And, since we're talking about time ... 'tis time to ask forgiveness, since you did not ask for consent.

Now, you miiiiight try the "This old thing? Why, I'd forgotten it was lying around!" gambit ... but that's a chancy thing, I've gotta say. My track record with that one is nothing to brag about.

Fleas aren't all that expensive. If the acquisition doesn't mess up your financial recovery, her plans, or your storage capacity, you should (eventually) be OK.

Best of luck to you!

I'm lucky, my SO gave up trying to keep track of all the stuff I receive in the mail due to my gadget reviewing site. I think I could buy a completely new uke every day and play it right in front of her and she'd be completely oblivious. :) When I do mention that I've ordered a new uke I just get the normal eye-roll and the "another one?" question.

where's the pic's?!

The last time I bought a ukulele, I simply told my wife that I had ordered a custom-built uke, and it was my anniversary present from her - arrival date was around our next (at that point, 10 months away) anniversary. And - oh I forgot - I was paying for it.

Of course, I've probably spent as much on yarn in a 6 month period for her as the Custom uke cost. And there's that new car I got her...

Naw - forget any advice from me - I've pretty much got my tracks covered. As long as I play it, she has no problem with me buying a uke.

-Kurt​

My motto in life has often been, "It is easier to get forgiveness than permission"

The only things I sneak over the border are Christmas ornaments (put them on the tree - when we are taking the tree down he may notice and ask and I'll say, "you don't remember that one?"), flowers (simply plant the beggars and throw the packaging away), and clothes/shoes (because how could anyone tell what's been added since it is so packed full).

Before I try my luck with a ukulele, I may see if I can bring in an an eBay clarinet. If he can't sniff that one out, I may be able to get a uke past him.

And here I was believing that the "hidden treasures" phenomenon , or at least not fully disclosed ones, was just a male thing. Refreshing to hear from you ladies about your little indiscretions (it's almost like having an affair!!)

just tell the wife that its a gift for her. tell her she looked like she needed a pretty mango flea. that will fix it, yeah.

Some advice for UAS sufferers who don't want to be cured:

-Don't pull the trigger on great ukulele deals unless you are prepared to take your lumps.

-Hope that ukuleles arrive when your significant other is away from the house and you are home to intercept the package (I've gotten lucky this way a few times). Practice rapidly unpacking and breaking down shipping boxes.

-Try to stick with the same type of case for all of them so they all look alike when in the case (I like the black nylon foam cases).

-Store ukuleles in several locations and never gather them in one location for long where they can be counted. Better yet, take a few to work if you have an office that can be secured.

-"I traded one of my ukuleles for this one" can sometimes work if you aren't compelled to identify which uke was traded. Ukes can be banished to work for a while if they have been "traded".

-Make friends with a fellow uker who is single, understands your situation, and is willing to let you have ukuleles shipped to their house. However, you must be able to trust this person not to keep your ukes for themselves or blackmail you at some point in the future. ;)

If you had the watch Jesse gave Walter you could sell it for all the ukulele's in Hawaii.

All joking aside...I've been married (to the same woman, no less) for 36 years so I feel qualified to offer a little advice. As long as neither of you has spending habits that are putting the family finances in real peril (buying stuff you don't really need when you can't afford groceries or the mortgage, for example) it is much better to just be up front about spending and the things that flip your wipper. There are many things that my wife buys that I will never understand why anyone would spend good money for that gunk. I'm sure she feels exactly the same way about many of the things I buy. The thing we both have come to realize is that it doesn't have to make "sense" to me if it's something that is going to bring her happiness and vice versa.

So, seriously, if you want a long happy marriage don't conceal purchases, work on the mutual understanding that things that bring joy to one of you should by definition bring joy to both, even if the mate doesn't fully understand the attraction.

Okay, off my soap box now. :)

John

Very well said OldePhart. As many before us have said "a happy wife is a happy life" We both know that being completely up front in all our doings is the secret. Also I always get the last word when talking to the wife......."Yes dear"
All joking aside...I've been married (to the same woman, no less) for 36 years so I feel qualified to offer a little advice. As long as neither of you has spending habits that are putting the family finances in real peril (buying stuff you don't really need when you can't afford groceries or the mortgage, for example) it is much better to just be up front about spending and the things that flip your wipper. There are many things that my wife buys that I will never understand why anyone would spend good money for that gunk. I'm sure she feels exactly the same way about many of the things I buy. The thing we both have come to realize is that it doesn't have to make "sense" to me if it's something that is going to bring her happiness and vice versa.

So, seriously, if you want a long happy marriage don't conceal purchases, work on the mutual understanding that things that bring joy to one of you should by definition bring joy to both, even if the mate doesn't fully understand the attraction.

Okay, off my soap box now. :)

John

Top Bottom