NUD Oscar Schmidt OU-4 preloved.

1931jim

Reaction score
My laminate spruce top, rosewood back and sides was on our local kijiji buy and sell. This appeals to one who has been on pension for 28+ years. Anyway here is the wee story why the lady was selling it.
She liked the look of the ukulele with the pseudo lookalike abalone because it would look nice on the wall of her apartment and blended in well with her other decor. Now she is moving to another apartment and wants to redecorate and change everything. The uke had been on the wall unplayed for 2 years and was very dried out with our Canadian winters. Nothing that a complete dismantle and cleaning up with my trusty tooth brushes, with applications of lemon oil to the fret board and bridge (which are Rosewood) was not very capable to rectify. Washburn or Oscar Schmidt make nice ukes in Indonesia. The attention to detail inside and out is immediately apparent. There are three well placed struts under the spruce soundboard which must have a pleasing effect to the delightful sound.
Regards
Jim.

Congrats on a nice find! I've long been a fan of Oscar Schmidt ukuleles. They make nice ukes for their price range. I started playing on OS ukes and own several of them which I'm planning to start selling, simply to fund my ongoing UAS. Let me know if you're interested in any of these: OU5 or OU7 concerts, or maybe a nice solid mahogany OU225SWK concert or OU245SWK tenor? :)

I also have an OU280SWK which is a solid koa concert with vine inlay on the fretboard, but that one's a keeper! :cool:

I agree it was a nice find, but "pre-loved"? Sounds more like "pre-abused" - poor thing! ;)

I've had an OS Concert that I gave to a friend as a great starter's instrument when I got my mainland. I still own an OS 8 string which I consider one of the the best "bang for bucks" ukes in my collection. And a Seasonista called Pabrizzer has an OS Baritone which plays the blues very sweetly indeed!

I can certainly see why OS would be popular!

So, once again, feliçitats! (as we'd say here in Catalonia).

Thank you Steedy for taking the time to reply to me. Regarding your tempting ukuleles, I think I will pass at this time and enjoy my newest member to the stable. Who knows what may be in my future if I should win a little lottery. I will keep your ukes in my thoughts.
Regards.
Jim.
Congrats on a nice find! I've long been a fan of Oscar Schmidt ukuleles. They make nice ukes for their price range. I started playing on OS ukes and own several of them which I'm planning to start selling, simply to fund my ongoing UAS. Let me know if you're interested in any of these: OU5 or OU7 concerts, or maybe a nice solid mahogany OU225SWK concert or OU245SWK tenor? :)

I also have an OU280SWK which is a solid koa concert with vine inlay on the fretboard, but that one's a keeper! :cool:

Last edited:
Hello Berni,
Perhaps you are right about my choice of intro. Preloved was not correct, as you have said. It is a shame what others will do to beautiful musical instruments in the name of home decorating.
Regards
Jim

Last edited:
Congrats, glad you got a deal. Sounds like it looks as new? I remember when I got my OU5. I was ready to get rid of it quickly until I put some Aquilas on it.......wow, what an improvement. A sweet sounding little concert, resonant and mellow, not really loud, but loud enough.

Hello PhilUSAFRet,
This gem of a tenor came with Aquilas on it. Everything was very out of tune and almost slack so I doubt if it had ever been played. No box or bag as they had been lost during the move. Oh well i have a few spare cases. HaHa!!
regards
Jim.

Biggybig correction, time for new brain and new spectacles. The thickness of the soundboard is Not 11/128 inches. It is only 1/16 inch or 2mm or .063 of an inch. What a dum de dum I have become.
Regards
Jim

It is only 1/16 inch or 2mm or .063 of an inch. What a dum de dum I have become.
Regards
Jim

1/16 of an inch is really thin!

1/16 of an inch is really thin!
Yes but the veneer of spruce on both sides of the laminated core must be really thin. Just like me gigglegiggle. Whenever i go to see the Doc I say "These are my skinny bones wrapped in skinnier skin". Jim.

Sounds like an amazing find. I really like OS ukes - I enjoy playing the one owned by a friend in my ukulele club. Any chance of posting some photos?

Sounds like an amazing find. I really like OS ukes - I enjoy playing the one owned by a friend in my ukulele club. Any chance of posting some photos?
Hello Ukejenny,
Thank you for your response. Yes I like photography and if I can figure out how to post the shots I will certainly do so. Do I have to keep them within a certain size in bytes and then make sure of the pixels both horizontally and vertically.? So much for me to learn, which is good for me.
Regards
Jim.

Stand by. I am feverishly reading under

Hello Ukejenny,
I read the faq's....found how to post pictures. Photo bucket here I come. Thank you Ukejenny for prompting me to post some shots and the future mental gymnastics.
Regards.
Jim.

Top Bottom