Pickup preference?

Damon.

Reaction score
I'm having some trouble deciding what kind of pickup to install... I'm leaning towards the Fishman Matrix Infinity. Has anyone played with one of these? Any different preferences? :D

I have not tried that one. I do like the MiSi though, especially the part about it being battery free. Takes 60 seconds to charge and lasts 8 hours or more.

By the way, my name is Damon, I don't meet too many of them!

I lmy best is the the Baggs, but have not tried the Fishman. they make a very nice amp though,

I have the misi in a mainland tenor and I have the matrix infinity in Navarro flamenco guitar. They both sound really great, as stated earlier the misi is very convenient. I believe both have the option for onboard controls. If I am not mistaken the lr baggs element is the pickup used in the misi system.

The MiSi and Pono passive pickups are pretty nice.

I had the Pono passive pickup in my last uke, and the K&K Aloha Twin Spot in this one.

I honestly can't tell the difference through my crappy "rock guitar" amp.

I found this video extremely useful, and it's what I used to pick the Twin Spot this time around...

The LR Baggs 5-0 is probably the most natural sounding one I've come across. 300 hours of play on a small coin type battery and volume control included.

I second this. :) But the 300 hours is a bit generous. After a month of 3 hour practices I notice a big improvement in response when I swap batteries. It's not as mushy and there is less feedback. I'm sure you'd still get sound at 300 hours, but that's kind of like those guys who play the same set of strings for 5 years. (Not hatin' - just sayin' :cool:)

I had the Pono passive pickup in my last uke, and the K&K Aloha Twin Spot in this one.

I honestly can't tell the difference through my crappy "rock guitar" amp.

I found this video extremely useful, and it's what I used to pick the Twin Spot this time around...

Yes, that was a good comparison of 5 pickups by Aaron at HMS.

http://vimeo.com/63940107

I have preamps on all my ukes, but had a passive Fishman PRO-AG0-UKE added to my mandolele and did not like it all, no volume on my little 5 watt amp I use with all my ukes. Will not go with passive again. (I've become pretty good at cutting out the side of the uke to fit the preamp components.)

For convenience: MiSi (I have them in 4 of my ukes).

For best live sound: Fishman with Fishman preamp. (NOTE: what I mean by "best" in this case is that the preamp has very effective EQ so you can get rid of the "thuddies" yourself without drastically altering the tone. With the MiSi pickups you need EQ at the board to do the same.)

For natural sound in a "studio" recording: under-soundboard passive transducers. (These would be my favorite in all cases but the handling noise and tendency to feed back make them a bit of a pain for live performance. I have put these in all of my ukes that don't have a MiSi or Fishman pickup, though (except the PS, haven't decided yet whether to put a MiSi or soundboard pickup in it).

Just my $0.02...

John

Last edited:
I don't have a pickup in any of my ukes. However, I've heard lots of good things about the McIntyre Acoustic Feather, which is available from Elderly.com for $110. It works very well for guitars, mandolins and banjos and is apparently very resistant to feedback.

Top Bottom