My first Low G

pixiepurls

Reaction score
I didn't realize low G's are like a guitar string and squeaky! I had the local shop put one on my Moku. I wonder if a set of worth browns would sound better with the low G...

https://giveit100.com/@pixiepurls/n9wk8h/62

https://giveit100.com/@pixiepurls/n9wk8h/63

Not sure how I feel about it yet. I still like the tenor sound over the soprano sound so sometimes on soprano of any sort things sound weird to my ears until I play it several days in a row.

I def like how it sounds when I fingerpick stuff... no verdict on the strumming yet!

Not all low g options are squeaky. There are a number of unwound low g strings, among them PhD, Worth, Living Water, etc. You may wish to try one of those if you don't like the squeak.

Not all low g options are squeaky. There are a number of unwound low g strings, among them PhD, Worth, Living Water, etc. You may wish to try one of those if you don't like the squeak.

And then my favorite, the Fremont Soloist, which is wound but doesn't squeak. The best of both worlds IMO, since I don't care for the floppiness of unwound low G strings.

And then my favorite, the Fremont Soloist, which is wound but doesn't squeak. The best of both worlds IMO, since I don't care for the floppiness of unwound low G strings.

I think Southcoast has a flatwound non squeak option too. I am actually using their wound Southcoast HML-RW now and love the sound so much that I am trying to acclimate to squeaks.

I've tried all the wound low-Gs people have recommended - some may not "squeak", but they all make an extra ffft noise when you strum or pick them (esp. on slides). Depending on how loud you play (ie the softer you play the more noticeable the ffft) that noise can still be very annoying.

Worths and southcoasts are well balanced tension wise imho, it's not like that string is a limp noodle. Low-d on Living Waters bari strings sounded a little boomy, and maybe a little less tension, but still better than wound string farts.

I'm not a fan of wound low g or c strings, or the Aquila Red. I am running a set of Fremont Blacklines on my tenor which I love. My concert has a PHD low g set which I also really like. I don't feel like any are too limp feeling. The Fremonts are probably my favorite.

Top Bottom