California Uke Academy (5/29-6/1), Who's Goin'?

Ukulele Eddie

Reaction score
Wasn't sure if this should go in Uke Talk or Regional Get Togethers, so moderators please move if I've misplaced...

Thought I start a thread for any UU'ers attending the California Ukulele Academy on May 29-June 1. Camp participants get a full day with each of Lil' Rev and Fred Sokolow, which I'm pretty excited about. This is my first such event, but as I understand it, this is more learning intensive than many others which tend to have shorter lessons but more performances, vendors, etc.

Hope to see some other UU'ers there!

I'm glad you posted this or I would not have been aware of it! I would have loved to go but the new uke I have on the way precludes further spending, but I calendared it for next year. I know the area and have been to the UU (Unitarian Universalist!) camp just up the road from Angelus Oaks for other conferences. The area is nice, it's down the mountain from Big Bear. You get mountain air, pine trees, cabins, like minded friends you just haven't met yet, you don't have to cook and with great teachers and an informal atmosphere it has to be a good experience. There was some snow up higher just last week, they got 4 inches of white.

Teek, that's a bummer but for good reason.

Quiltingshirley, good to know at least one other UU'er will be there! I look forward to meeting you.

Anything that Doug Reynolds puts on is a guaranteed excellent time.

I attended this workshop in November and it was awesome!!! Food was excellent, nice campground and the instructors were amazing. I just came back from Reno as well and it was even better...

Mind you the last 24 miles to the campsite are along Cali mountain roads, so you may want to make sure you drive there during the day for the scenery, and tour safety... I got there I the dark... That was an adventure in itself.

You can check out some photos for the last retreat Here

And from Reno Here

Aside from the great time, I learned a heck of a lot and got to meet most of my ukulele heroes! Worth every penny and then some.

For those of you who have gone before to the camp, Is there enough lighting to see the pages or should we bring our own? Did you bring just one uke with either a high or low G? Now that it starts tomorrow the questions are starting.

This was a great event and it was a pleasure to meet you Quiltingshirley (and your husband Bill).

For those who might be interested, what is unique about this camp is two intensive days of instruction with two instructors vs. many different instructors for short classes. This year, we had Lil' Rev and Fred Sokolow. Funny side note: it turns out Fred lives walking distance from me (and, sadly for him, likely just landed a gig as my new uke teacher) and Lil' Rev lives walking distance from my folks' in Milwaukee. What are the chances of that?

My wife accompanied me with the intent of enjoying two days of relaxing and reading in the mountains and then -- shockingly to me -- decided "on-the-spot" to do the beginner track taught by "Kona Don." He did amazing things with the beginners, some of whom had never even seen a ukulele. I couldn't believe she did it and was worried she would hate the uke after the weekend as she does not typically like total immersion in any topic. Much to my disbelief, when I made my way back to the cabin after my session completed the first day, not only was she not stomping my uke she used (thankfully!!), she was actually practicing after her class finished for the day.

When I was talking to our "6 2/3" (she likes fractions) year old daughter on the phone at the end of the first day, I told her mommy decided to do the class and I thought she would quickly be better than me. She responded, "Well, you know, Dad, Mom and I learn quickly and you, well, you have to work really hard at things." While my initial instinct was to ground her for three years, I decided to use it for a teaching moment. I took a deep breath and replied calmly, "You're right, Sweetie. Sometimes people have to work extra hard to get good at something."

The camp takes place at 7,500 foot in the mountains. While the lodging is rather rustic bunk beds and all, the food was quite good and the overall experience was topnotch. There were about 70 participants this year. This isn't an event where you'll see many vendors or performers like Reno (another event put on by the Play Uke team of Doug, Melinda and Ed), but it is a much more immersive yet low key event. If that's of interest, keep an eye out for next year's camp.

Regards, Eddie

It was a fun couple of days in the mountains. A bit drier than we're used to at the beach. One of our friends had the top of her older Kamaka ukulele pop off during Fred's class. I tried to keep mine in the case more than usual. Lots of good food, good friends and good learning. You notice I left out the bunk beds. Eddie it was a pleasure meeting and visiting with you and your wife. Nice to add another ukulele player. I noticed that the Blackbird Claras that were brought to the retreat sold out right away. No humidity problems.

This is the first of these California Uke Academy events that I did not attend. The three times I went I had a great time. Unfortunately the timing of this weekend didn't work for me.

Looking forward to going in the future.

Dixie Ukuleles - where I got mine -- has one Clara in stock for anyone interested. $1,150 with free shipping. Includes the awesome Access padded case that Balckbird included to help launch the product. Contact George at (727) 493-1845

Full disclosure, I served as Dixie Ukuleles "Western Representative" at the event.

Did we have fun? This picture just shows some of the fun I had Friday night at Open Mike (1st time ever)5 lbs of possum.jpgIf I knew how to do it, I'd post the group shot but you have to go to Facebook to see that.

Top Bottom