Does anyone sell High C for 8 strings?

jcarlos

Reaction score
My high C went out again on my 8 string uke and I need to replace it. It and the low G I break quite often. I went through 5 packs last year and I don't want to buy another set since I have 4 packs of the all the other strings, I just want to order individual low G and High C strings. Does anyone know where I can order them from?

My high C went out again on my 8 string uke and I need to replace it. It and the low G I break quite often. I went through 5 packs last year and I don't want to buy another set since I have 4 packs of the all the other strings, I just want to order individual low G and High C strings. Does anyone know where I can order them from?

I don't know where you can buy the individual strings you need. Sorry, I wish I could help.

I guess I'd want to find out why those two strings fail so frequently before I replaced them again. Something must be wrong. Where do they break? At the nut? The saddle? The tuner? Any of those things could be the cause of premature failure under certain circumstances....

The high C is a nasty thin little bugger and having them break is not that uncommon. However, the low G simply should not be breaking (well, I have heard of the Aquila Red low-G strings being rather fragile). So, if that low G is not an Aquila Red figure out what is causing it to break! (Then, it certainly doesn't hurt to apply the same medicine to the high-C, but even after you shouldn't be too surprised by occasional breakage of that one.)

I don't know of anybody selling high-C strings singly...though you might be able to figure out what gage you need and order single guitar strings of appropriate gage.

Single low-G strings are available, depending on brand.

John

I agree with John. The high C is a tiny little string that does break easily but you shouldn't be breaking the low G. I play 7 string without the high C anyway. Its a deeper sound which I like and it sounds better when picking.

Anthiony

It depends on what actual brand/set you're using, but our 8 string has a .022" for the high C. So you should be able to buy those in singles from Just Strings, Elderly Instruments, etc..

I agree with John. The high C is a tiny little string that does break easily but you shouldn't be breaking the low G. I play 7 string without the high C anyway. Its a deeper sound which I like and it sounds better when picking.

Anthiony

Not to hijack the thread, but is there a reason you don't have unison Cs? I'm just interested, never tried it myself...

To help the OP:
Fremont sells single low g strings, so does Southcoast.

Last edited:
Not to hijack the thread, but is there a reason you don't have unison Cs?

To help the OP:
Fremont sells single low g strings, so does Southcoast.

My technique is to alternate pick the 3rd and 4th strings with my thumb. You get a higher pitched sound with the octave 3rd strings. I get a deeper sound with a single, low 3rd string which works for me. Having the high octave 3rd string does sound great when strummed but I'm mainly a picker.

Anthony

My technique is to alternate pick the 3rd and 4th strings with my thumb. You get a higher pitched sound with the octave 3rd strings. I get a deeper sound with a single, low 3rd string which works for me. Having the high octave 3rd string does sound great when strummed but I'm mainly a picker.

Anthony

I meant, is there any reason why you don´t have two "low" Cs together instead of just a single string and pairs in all the other courses

I meant, is there any reason why you don´t have two "low" Cs together instead of just a single string and pairs in all the other courses

OK, No need for a doubled Low C for my technique. One works fine. Also I would have to modify the string slots to make it work but by leaving it as 7 strings its simple enough to refit the high C if I or someone else wants to refit it. I do like the sound of high C for strumming. Just not for my picking technique.

Anthony

I don't know where you can buy the individual strings you need. Sorry, I wish I could help.

I guess I'd want to find out why those two strings fail so frequently before I replaced them again. Something must be wrong. Where do they break? At the nut? The saddle? The tuner? Any of those things could be the cause of premature failure under certain circumstances....

The strings have broken in different places,its cause I use a pick and I stum fast rhythms thats why they dont last.

Top Bottom