Denver Ukefest Adventure...

freedive135

Reaction score
Yesterday was the Denver Ukefest and my head is still spinning from all the great workshops that went on...

Victoria Vox on Public performance and making a song your own.

James Hill on Making chords sound better, turning that 7th to a 9th and making that song "Swing".

The Guy's from "The Sweet Hollywaiians" on Strokin, Strummin & Showmanship styles for the "12 Street Rag".
The best class I thought, it was just plain fun, these guys don't speak much english but had a blast tryin to help us understand what they were showin us.
They are a MUST SEE group if you ever have the chance!!!!!!!

Mad Tea Party doin a "Ukulele Support Group"

The guys from "Boulder Acoustic Society"
Aaron Keim maker of Beansprout Banjo Ukes on Fingerpicking Style.
Scott McCormick on Playin Punk on the Uke.
Kailin Yong on Chord-Melody Arranging.
Scott Aller on playin Percussion on the Uke or your Body or.....

The Local club "Denver Uke Community" did a strum along session/member drive.

A local band "Hobo Nickles" hosted an Open Stage when lots of folks got up and showed their stuff.

A preview of a upcomming Uke film "Mighty Uke" a must see when it is finished, the history of the revivals of the Uke with footage of some of the Great Uke Players in action.

And of course the Vendors, WOW I got play some real sweet Uke's, my fingers are a hurtin.
The Local Shop had a huge spread...
Plus a few Indie Luthier's had their wares out on display to try out.
Palm Tree Ukulele's
Mya-Moe Ukulele's
Beansprout Ukulele's
And a guy from Ohana was on hand with a bunch of their Uke's, man the Willow/Ceader top was sweet it was all I could do to keep the Plastic in the pocket.

A whole bunch of folks asked "What is Ukulele Underground" as I was sportin my T-Shirt and told the Uke 101 Workshop to join up!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy the Pic's
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/album.php?albumid=203

Wish I would have taken more... sorry if some are a little blury...

And to Deach, Victoria said you are a sweetheart!!!!!

Thanks for the photos and the report on the ukefest.

Those palm tree ukes looked mighty nice.

I do have a couple of questions on the Mighty Uke movie. Did they say when it will be released? And what did they show in the footage you saw?

Thanks for the report and great pics. Some really nice looking ukes there. and Victoria Vox is a sweetheart for saying I was a sweetheart. Well, she was a sweetheart way before that....

About the movie...

It was mostly footage of what I would call "youtube" players and some club footage. The only 2 folks I had heard of were Jake and James Hill.
There was a segment of the history of the Uke and the waves of it becoming popular/spreading in mainstream playing.
A segment of King David and the link of Hawaiian Royality playing the Ukulele.
And quite a bit of Jumpin Jim of Flea/Fluke fame and how he helped start the third wave of the Uke along with Jake on "Youtube".

They said they are shooting for fall but wanted to get more footage from Uke Players/festivals, that is why there were at Denvers Ukefest they were shooting every workshop I was in and during the Concerts too.

Here is a link about the movie.
http://www2.canada.com/langleyadvance/news/living/story.html?id=89a5ce51-ce63-45dc-bcba-6a2c2eb6ecad

Nice pics! Looks like a lot of fun. Hope I can get out to a festival some day.

Top Bottom