Unis ukulele

skip

Reaction score
Just been offered a Unis ukulele,a brand I have never heard of.
Nicely made,1920s,straight grain koa,rope bound soundhole,nice little uke.
Seller is asking $275,do folks reckon thats an ok price?
They also have a 20's Mauna Loa,rope bound top and soundhole,similar $.

If it's really that vintage (if it's that old I don't think it can be laminate, almost has to be solid wood) and sounds and plays good and doesn't have any unrepaired or poorly repaired cracks I'd think that's a decent price, it's less than you're going to pay for a current production solid koa soprano so if it's in good shape I'd buy it not because it's vintage but because it's a good price on a koa uke.

John

Unis is a curious brand. No one really knows much about them, and even where they were made. The labels indicate they were made in Hawaii, but there are no good records of them being made there. Doesn't meant they weren't, but in the 20's there were a lot of ukes claiming to have been made in Hawaii which weren't. $275 is ok, I like 175 better...but look at it overall. Do you love the ukulele, does it play well, do you want to pick it up and play it? If so, than you have to decide if it is worth it. I think for me, 275 would be the top end of what I would pay for one, and I'd have to love it, but that is just me.

The Mauna Loa was made by Lyon & Healy, and I'd love to find a really nice one myself. I have an L&H tenor which I love.

Thanks folks.
i have to buy these sight unseen,so its a bit risky,will let you know how i get on.

Thanks folks.
i have to buy these sight unseen,so its a bit risky,will let you know how i get on.

Oh...that makes it a whole other can of worms. I would never buy any vintage uke without playing it or without at least the right to return it without losing anything but reasonable shipping costs.

John

Top Bottom