Anybody tried GHS strings?

Just got some. Haven't tried them yet.

I got 'em on my Ohana 6 string. They're pretty new, but so far so good. The sound and sustain seem to be satisfactory. But being new to me, they seem to make a lot of mistakes.

I noticed them at Elderly, normally i like Martin M600's and was wondering if anyone could tell me what this brand compares to in sound and playability?

http://elderly.com/accessories/items/GH20.htm

Thanks... Bill

I might know a bit about them. :)

They have a slightly thicker and punchier sound than what you would expect from other fluorocarbon sets. The brilliance and clarity of note definition is still there, but there is a little more "heft" in the bass tones. I have that set on my Boat Paddle M-Style concert and its a beast with them on.

They look to be a fair bit heavier that Martins or Worths for example.

And they are. A lot of dealers and players have requested heavier gauges for fluorocarbon sets as opposed to what is available. On the soprano and the concert, they feel pretty decent to me. But, feel is a personal thing.

I've read only negatives about that string brand. But that's only what I've read. YMMV, of course.

When I first saw "GHS strings" I thought "black nylon". Then I followed the link and remembered I had seen they make fluoros too. I like fluoros generally...

I think i'll order a set or two and see what they are like. Thanks for all the comments though...

When I first saw "GHS strings" I thought "black nylon". Then I followed the link and remembered I had seen they make fluoros too. I like fluoros generally...

Same here - I had no idea they made fluoros. Those black nylon ones were on my starter Ohana uke and had some problems.

I've still not encountered a set of fluoros that I like as much as I like Martins - tried Fremont, Oasis, Worth, and PhD. None were bad, but I still favor the Martins over others that I've tried.

I feel exactly the same, but it doesn't stop me trying every string i can find, hahaha...

Same here - I had no idea they made fluoros. Those black nylon ones were on my starter Ohana uke and had some problems.

I've still not encountered a set of fluoros that I like as much as I like Martins - tried Fremont, Oasis, Worth, and PhD. None were bad, but I still favor the Martins over others that I've tried.

I'm a fan of the black nylon GHS strings. They're crystal clear, but more mellow than Aquillas, so I always keep one soprano strung with GHS.

I'm a fan of the black nylon GHS strings. They're crystal clear, but more mellow than Aquillas, so I always keep one soprano strung with GHS.

I totally agree. The GHS black nylon strings are underrated. Here in the near-arctic, they are easily available, and cheap too.
I have never seen the fluoros, though.

They are thicker and have a mellower sound. I have them on my Luna soprano and it's very mellow, the Luna is pretty mellow to begin with...don't necessarily like them on the Luna, but if you like mellow they may be for you.

I've tried the GHS black strings (not sure how many types they make) - they've been pre-installed on a few ukes I've bought (like the Republic reso) . Didn't like them - but I have yet to find a set of black strings I do like.

I'm currently enjoying D'Addario Titanium strings - came on my Godin and I really think they're nice.

I always use the GHS 100 Wound D and G on my baritone. They are phosphor bronze. I like the sound. I use other brands on the B and E

I prefer the phosphor bronze wound over our silvered cooper wound ones (found in the H-100 set). Especially with the fluoro set, the phosphor bronze string tonally sits well as a low G.

I have a set on a bright sounding uke in the office, as I like how it mellows the uke out.

But admittedly I used to think they're bad, simply because others said they were. Gotta try'em for yourself I guess

That's a pretty common assumption (regardless of brand), and I've done that myself once or twice. You gotta do all the research yourself, realize that all of the super positive and super negative reviews you read are probably more emotionally based than anything, and read all the middle of the road ones. Then, make the decision yourself.

I have tried the standard black nylon GHS strings on a number of ukes, I hated them and just threw them all in the trash. I would rate them fair to suck.

Top Bottom