PDA

View Full Version : Anybody tried GHS strings?

billten
05-02-2014, 08:20 AM
I noticed them at Elderly, normally i like Martin M600's and was wondering if anyone could tell me what this brand compares to in sound and playability?

http://elderly.com/accessories/items/GH20.htm

Thanks... Bill

Freeda
05-02-2014, 08:55 AM
Just got some. Haven't tried them yet.

Down Up Dick
05-02-2014, 09:57 AM
I got 'em on my Ohana 6 string. They're pretty new, but so far so good. The sound and sustain seem to be satisfactory. But being new to me, they seem to make a lot of mistakes.

Jon Moody
05-02-2014, 10:01 AM
I noticed them at Elderly, normally i like Martin M600's and was wondering if anyone could tell me what this brand compares to in sound and playability?

http://elderly.com/accessories/items/GH20.htm

Thanks... Bill

I might know a bit about them. :)

They have a slightly thicker and punchier sound than what you would expect from other fluorocarbon sets. The brilliance and clarity of note definition is still there, but there is a little more "heft" in the bass tones. I have that set on my Boat Paddle M-Style concert and its a beast with them on.

Kayak Jim
05-02-2014, 10:09 AM
They look to be a fair bit heavier that Martins or Worths for example.

Ramart
05-02-2014, 10:11 AM
I've read only negatives about that string brand. But that's only what I've read. YMMV, of course.

Jon Moody
05-02-2014, 10:13 AM
I've read only negatives about that string brand. But that's only what I've read. YMMV, of course.

I'd be very interested in hearing what you've heard about GHS, specifically what types of strings.

Jon Moody
05-02-2014, 10:15 AM
They look to be a fair bit heavier that Martins or Worths for example.

And they are. A lot of dealers and players have requested heavier gauges for fluorocarbon sets as opposed to what is available. On the soprano and the concert, they feel pretty decent to me. But, feel is a personal thing.

Kayak Jim
05-02-2014, 10:18 AM

When I first saw "GHS strings" I thought "black nylon". Then I followed the link and remembered I had seen they make fluoros too. I like fluoros generally...

billten
05-02-2014, 11:00 AM
I think i'll order a set or two and see what they are like. Thanks for all the comments though...

janeray1940
05-02-2014, 11:05 AM
When I first saw "GHS strings" I thought "black nylon". Then I followed the link and remembered I had seen they make fluoros too. I like fluoros generally...

Same here - I had no idea they made fluoros. Those black nylon ones were on my starter Ohana uke and had some problems.

I've still not encountered a set of fluoros that I like as much as I like Martins - tried Fremont, Oasis, Worth, and PhD. None were bad, but I still favor the Martins over others that I've tried.

billten
05-02-2014, 11:40 AM
I feel exactly the same, but it doesn't stop me trying every string i can find, hahaha...

Same here - I had no idea they made fluoros. Those black nylon ones were on my starter Ohana uke and had some problems.

I've still not encountered a set of fluoros that I like as much as I like Martins - tried Fremont, Oasis, Worth, and PhD. None were bad, but I still favor the Martins over others that I've tried.

Ukuleleblues
05-02-2014, 12:00 PM
I always use the GHS 100 Wound D and G on my baritone. They are phosphor bronze. I like the sound. I use other brands on the B and E

Phluffy the Destroyer
05-02-2014, 06:38 PM
I'm a fan of the black nylon GHS strings. They're crystal clear, but more mellow than Aquillas, so I always keep one soprano strung with GHS.

drbekken
05-02-2014, 11:43 PM
I'm a fan of the black nylon GHS strings. They're crystal clear, but more mellow than Aquillas, so I always keep one soprano strung with GHS.

I totally agree. The GHS black nylon strings are underrated. Here in the near-arctic, they are easily available, and cheap too.
I have never seen the fluoros, though.

kissing
05-03-2014, 03:43 AM

Me too. They sound and feel great!

But admittedly I used to think they're bad, simply because others said they were. Gotta try'em for yourself I guess

UkerDanno
05-03-2014, 06:00 AM
They are thicker and have a mellower sound. I have them on my Luna soprano and it's very mellow, the Luna is pretty mellow to begin with...don't necessarily like them on the Luna, but if you like mellow they may be for you.

ichadwick
05-04-2014, 02:40 AM
I've tried the GHS black strings (not sure how many types they make) - they've been pre-installed on a few ukes I've bought (like the Republic reso (http://www.ianchadwick.com/ukuleles/republic.htm)) . Didn't like them - but I have yet to find a set of black strings I do like.

I'm currently enjoying D'Addario Titanium strings - came on my Godin and I really think they're nice.

Jon Moody
05-04-2014, 07:50 AM
I always use the GHS 100 Wound D and G on my baritone. They are phosphor bronze. I like the sound. I use other brands on the B and E

I prefer the phosphor bronze wound over our silvered cooper wound ones (found in the H-100 set). Especially with the fluoro set, the phosphor bronze string tonally sits well as a low G.

I have a set on a bright sounding uke in the office, as I like how it mellows the uke out.

But admittedly I used to think they're bad, simply because others said they were. Gotta try'em for yourself I guess

That's a pretty common assumption (regardless of brand), and I've done that myself once or twice. You gotta do all the research yourself, realize that all of the super positive and super negative reviews you read are probably more emotionally based than anything, and read all the middle of the road ones. Then, make the decision yourself.

BlackBearUkes
05-04-2014, 10:24 AM
I have tried the standard black nylon GHS strings on a number of ukes, I hated them and just threw them all in the trash. I would rate them fair to suck.

PereBourik
05-04-2014, 12:00 PM
I've tried the GHS black strings (not sure how many types they make) - they've been pre-installed on a few ukes I've bought (like the Republic reso (http://www.ianchadwick.com/ukuleles/republic.htm)) . Didn't like them - but I have yet to find a set of black strings I do like.

I'm currently enjoying D'Addario Titanium strings - came on my Godin and I really think they're nice.

If you are looking for fluorocarbon, try ORCAS if you can find them. Sound good on my Imua.

mm stan
05-04-2014, 05:11 PM
GHS blacks have been around for ages...they work on some ukes, not all .....I do like them on cheaper ukes made over seas.... before all these new strings came out
it was the ones that I prefered on SOME ukes..

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
05-04-2014, 06:29 PM
I love GHS black nylon strings. Stylish looks. Mellow sounds. Love them.

Jon Moody
05-04-2014, 11:55 PM
GHS blacks have been around for ages...they work on some ukes, not all .....I do like them on cheaper ukes made over seas.... before all these new strings came out

That bolded comment can be said about nearly every single set of strings, for every single instrument out there. Black nylon strings (whatever the brand, they're more closely related than you all may think) are good for some instruments. Good for your instrument? That always depends.

Captain America
05-05-2014, 03:55 AM
I've tried them. I LIKE them! :)

I was surprised that I liked them!

I'd buy them again.

Xtradust
05-05-2014, 05:44 AM
I've gotta give them a "fair to suck" also. They're the "take off" strings. Ya buy a uke and ya take em off.

I want to like them, because I'm cheap too, but if you're not using Aquilas for some reason, you don't move back to GHS, you move up to Worth, etc.

The only strings I've ever had problems tuning are GHS.

Jon Moody
05-05-2014, 05:46 AM
I've gotta give them a "fair to suck" also. They're the "take off" strings. Ya buy a uke and ya take em off.

I want to like them, because I'm cheap too, but if you're not using Aquilas for some reason, you don't move back to GHS, you move up to Worth, etc.

The only strings I've ever had problems tuning are GHS.

And just to be clear, you're talking about the black nylon strings. You haven't tried the fluoro yet.

Kayak Jim
05-05-2014, 05:48 AM
There are too many stings on the market to try ones that get such mixed (and extreme) reviews. The company should consider changing it's name and reintroducing them.

Jon Moody
05-05-2014, 05:54 AM
There are too many stings on the market to try ones that get such mixed (and extreme) reviews. The company should consider changing it's name and reintroducing them.

I think that's a little extreme in and of itself, don't you? I haven't read a lot of reviews from people that LIKE any black nylon sets, period. They're a love/hate thing, much like groundwound strings in the electric bass market.

Two of the black nylon sets we currently have (the H-10 and H-T10) are in the top ten of what we sell regularly. So, while I don't like hearing any negative reviews (extreme or no), at this point I can't see us changing them when the numbers prove otherwise. I will definitely put it on my list of things to bring up.

We have a number of people that like the new fluoro sets. For anyone on this site that wants to try a set on me, shoot me a PM. I'll get a set in the mail to you. Free.

billten
05-05-2014, 07:25 AM
OK since i was the one started this whole thread i'd like to give back my findings. I was fortunate enough to find someone who PM'ed me and actually offered to pass on a couple of sets as he had them available with the agreement that i would replace them on my next order from Elderly (you got to love this community!). I want to mention again that i'm not really interested in the black ones, i was solely talking about the fluoro sets and that is what i tried. The ones i have tried are:
http://elderly.com/accessories/items/GHT20F.htm - GHS H-T20F TENOR UKULELE SET "FINGERSTYLE, FLUOROCARBON - Tuning is A E C G (treb to bass), gauges are 027 035 035w 0307. Wound string is aluminum wound. If a non-wound 3rd string is desired, the 3rd string from GH20 set will work for a Tenor, since the strings in all the flourocarbon sets are 42" long."
http://elderly.com/accessories/items/GH20.htm - GHS H-20 UKULELE SET FLUOROCARBON - Tuning is A E C G (treb to bass), gauges are 026 033 035 0307. Will fit Soprano or Concert uke.

I put the soprano strings on my Kiwaya KS6 and the tenor strings on a tenor walnut fluke.

My reaction is completely my own and you all can and should make your own opinion but bottom line is that I like em...

I play almost exclusively fingerstyle and chord melody type of thing and for the last year or so have mostly used Martin M600 and 620 so i'll use them as a comparison.

To me on both the tenor and the soprano they seemed very similar to the Martin version just a tiny bit warmer tone. The strings are very comfortable and feel very nice to play. My main issue with the Martin strings is that sometimes they can be a little harsh or bright for my style of play and my taste of music on some ukulele and i find very occasionally the Martin can seem a little 'thin' and sharp. the GHS may well be what i use when i find this is the case. One other thing is that i am a big fan of wound strings (i can put up with the squeak) i find they are not as 'thuddy' on some uke's) and i really like having that option on a tenor set. I did find that i could whale away on the GHS and they stayed very sweet without any clangy or tinny sound you get sometimes with the Martin.

Again this is just my opinion and my style of play and on my ukes, you should get some yourself and try them. I liked them enough to place an order for 3 sets of each today and will leave the ones i have already on in place.

Thanks Bill

Jon Moody
05-06-2014, 03:31 AM
We have a number of people that like the new fluoro sets. For anyone on this site that wants to try a set on me, shoot me a PM. I'll get a set in the mail to you. Free.

Thanks to the few brave folk (esp after some of the previous comments) that have taken me up with the offer of a free set of the fluorocarbon strings to try. I'm keeping the offer available until Sunday, so you have some time if you're on the fence.

And, if you're headed to Lansing, MI for the Mighty Uke Day on Saturday, please stop on by and say hello; I'll be there at the booth, as well as at the GHS sponsored ukulele workshop.

BlueLatitude
05-14-2014, 04:12 AM
I got my sample GHS flourocarbon strings quickly (thanks, One Bad Monkey) and got them on a uke last Thursday.

I could tell I'd like them right away. They are very resonant with good definition, and they are comfortable to play -- not floppy but not hard, either. I'm not very good at describing things, but I'm quite happy with them and will certainly purchase some more in the future.

Don't be afraid give them a try!

Maiden Uke
05-14-2014, 06:45 AM
Got mine last week too. Jon - Thanks very much! Still settling in, but inclined to agree with BlueLatitude.

hent
05-14-2014, 11:35 AM
Thanks Jon and have mine waiting for me when I got home from vacation and also got your extra goodies. So far I like it and playability with the strings is excellent. And I'm glad I tried it!