What uke(s) will go with you on vacation this summer?

Uke Republic

Reaction score
I have to ask this question every year as I get more excited as vacation and travels draw near.
I'll be bringing a concert for most of my travels but a couple of beach vacation will require our plastic ukes. I'm planning on being beach and pool side and might spill something on it:p

So whatcha taking?

Blackbird Clara.

Sounds like you "need" one, too. ;-)

My carry on is an 8 string. The case pocket is big enough to hold my comic books on flights.

Well I took my Mya-moe to, LA then Reno, and back across the dessert, and the Sierra Nevada mountains.... It survived although it was in the air conditioned car or hotel most of the time. Still I was nervous a bit when we stopped for pictures with it... I also took the first Uke I ever bought, from the late. MGM to get it signed by many artists I admire. Including Ralph Shaw, Sarah Maisel, Heido Swedberg snd many others...

Both ukes survived the trip...

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
I always take whichever uke currently holds the spot as my favorite. Right now, I guess that is my KoAloha.

I'll be taking the Big Rusty tenor resonator to Kerrville. It's loud enough to wake a few guitarists

I have to ask this question every year as I get more excited as vacation and travels draw near.
I'll be bringing a concert for most of my travels but a couple of beach vacation will require our plastic ukes. I'm planning on being beach and pool side and might spill something on it:p

So whatcha taking?

The new tenor Outdoor Uke. I'm going into the desert back country of eastern oregon with it and I don't plan on even taking a case. It will NOT be babied that's for sure.

Almost certainly the Oscar Schmidt 5-string tenor - that's what I bought it for. That's assuming I take the motorcycle to UWC. If I end up taking wifey's car I'll take my Boat Paddle 5-string tenor instead.

John

So whatcha taking?

I am not sure!!!! I guess the Makala Dolphin but I wonder if I'll get frustrated because I'm spoiled by nice instruments. I can take my soprano moku.. but it has a low G on it now and the strum I am working on needs a regular G... but I like my moku with a low G (I think anyway) so now I'm like, argh...

I need a concert now lol, then I could have a regular G and just choose between the two :D

Like Icelander, it will be the tenor outdoor ukulele. I have a camping trip on May 16, though, and I don't think it will make it to me by then so it will be the Luna for that trip.

My spring trip this weekend had me playing the Luna while stuck in road construction in Cumberland, Maryland this afternoon.

Last edited:
Funny, my wife just asked me during dinner which Uke I was bringing to Hawaii in a couple of weeks...bringing my Kanilea concert as I brought my KoAloha Tenor on the last trip to Hawaii ��

Hadn't thought about until this question, but I would probably take my least valuable, which is actually the most robust; a mandolele I bought from an eBay auction for $51 US (plus $70 shipping from Vietnam). It's pretty solid, with a thick top, so I wouldn't be too concerned if it got knocked around. It plays OK after I had a setup done, the frets are rough, the binding is rough where it meets the body, satin finish.

u9 Mando-Uke.jpg

I'm taking my Kala travel soprano. Definitely not as nice as my KoAloha but it still plays nice and I worry a lot less about it getting damaged.

I took my concert neck Surf Flea to Virginia Beach during Spring Break.

Top Bottom