A string rings at second fret.

moetrout

Reaction score
I hope this is the right place to post this question, if not maybe a mod can move it for me?

My daughters cheap laminate concert Cordoba has started ringing on the A string, but only when played on the second fret. No other strings do this at the second fret. The A string also does not ring when played open or fretted anywhere else. Frets appear level and the neck is straight. I'm not sure what to think about this problem? What should I be checking out next? I have some new strings coming so the strings are coming off and I will check it out a little more closely when I do that to see if there is not a high fret I could not spot with the strings on. Could it just be that one string and replacing the strings fixes it?

Not sure what you are referring to with a ring. Is it a sitar like buzz?

If that is the case, then it's most likely a fret that is a bit high. And it doesn't take much at all if the action has been set low.

Best way to check that is with a fret rocker. Short piece of metal will do that will span 3 frets at a time and will rock on a high fret. Move along all the frets to determine if one is higher than the others on each side.

Yes it is the string buzzing. I did check the frets with a long metal ruler, but you are right it is probably just one slightly high fret. The action on this uke has not been set. I plan to do that once I have new strings for it. Thanks for the advice.

First suspect would be fret Nr 3 or Nr 4. Look for a small gap under the fret under the A string.
If it is there, press it down, put some superglue to keep it down.
Good luck.

Correctomundo! Further checking shows the 3 fret is slightly higher.

Top Bottom