Saddle Height Too Excessive?

FrankB

Reaction score
Here's my Kamaka

And my Martin concert:
Check 2nd post, because I can't delete the upside down photos....

The top saddle on both instruments is 11mm above the soundboard, and string height is just over 2mm from the top of the 12th fret to the bottom of the string, both sides. The Martin is a fraction of a millimeter higher, but barely. The Kamaka's saddle is 5/32" above the top of the bridge. Is that too excessive? I paid a lot for this uke, and this is the final check on my list. Actually, I noticed it immediately, but I decided to save it for last. I'm only concerned about the Kamaka, and there's no string buzzing any where along the fretboard, so......

Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
2mm at the 12th fret is pretty low...most of my ukes are 2.5mm
i don't care how high the saddle is at the bridge...

how do you lower the saddle without getting the action to low at the 12th and why would you want to do that?

Martin C1K saddle/bridge:
image.jpg

Thanks again. I'm just wondering about the effect of raising the Kamaka saddle should the strings need to be raised in the future.

2mm at the 12th fret is pretty low...most of my ukes are 2.5mm
i don't care how high the saddle is at the bridge...

how do you lower the saddle without getting the action to low at the 12th and why would you want to do that?

I don't want it any lower. I'm just wondering about the Kamaka's future should it need to be raised due to the soundboard collapsing in front of the bridge, etc. I made that saddle, and the Kamaka supplied saddle was actually about .5mm lower.

Martin C1K saddle/bridge:
View attachment 66472

Thanks again. I'm just wondering about the effect of raising the Kamaka saddle should the strings need to be raised in the future.

Hey Frank...your thread is called..saddle hight to excessive(i am guessing that means to high)...but now you are saying you want to raise the saddle....lol :)

if you want to raise the saddle get a new one Kamaka will give you a free one....
or put some shims under the saddle

I don't want it any lower. I'm just wondering about the Kamaka's future should it need to be raised due to the soundboard collapsing in front of the bridge, etc. I made that saddle, and the Kamaka supplied saddle was actually about .5mm lower.

i have a Kamaka that is only 2 years old...the top is flat...no worry so much...just play the uke and what happens,,happens...IMO :)
playing a ukulele is supposed to be fun....

Last edited:
String height above the soundboard and above the 12th fret are in line with how I set up my ukes. Saddle height seems fine to me too. Why does it concern you?

It just looks like a lot of saddle above that bridge, but I guess it'll be okay. I'm the type that needs reassuring once I go over a grand...LOL! Many of my classical and flamenco guitars barely had enough saddle for a decent break angle, so I guess I'm used to seeing things on the opposite side of the spectrum.

From what I can see, the only difference is that the Martin bridge is thicker (or Kamaka thinner). Which make the saddle protude less.
A thick massive bridge is not really a good thing!
Also for the future, you will more likely want to reduce the saddle height as string tension may raise the top a bit.

i have a Kamaka that is only 2 years old...the top is flat...no worry so much...just play the uke and what happens,,happens...IMO :)
playing a ukulele is supposed to be fun....

This uke was bought a week ago, but was built in July 2013. I guess it's stabilized by now. It's getting lots of play time, and my next question is going to be about tendonitis. :D The volume is excellent, but its tone is sublime! It sounds like a harp, and if I were going to play Jake's arrangement of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow", this would be the ideal instrument for that! I'm taking it to a party tonight for its debut, so that should be fun.

From what I can see, the only difference is that the Martin bridge is thicker (or Kamaka thinner). Which make the saddle protude less.
A thick massive bridge is not really a good thing!
Also for the future, you will more likely want to reduce the saddle height as string tension may raise the top a bit.

Good point, Alain. I've seen guitars go both ways, but I do keep my instruments humidified, so hopefully this one will get a nice dome later in life.....if anything.

EDIT: Found a store demo of another Kamaka HF-2, and the saddle height above the bridge appears to be the same as mine:
image.jpg

Last edited:
Looks fine to me, Play your uke :)
. Just change saddles to get the height you want and you keep the original...no big thing for beginners...if you want to lower the saddle like on the
martin, you may cut the bridge slot deeper...i suggest you dont do that if you're a beginner.. to raise it get buy a new saddle as I suggested and adjust the height, it will be easy reversable for you to put the old back one in...good to mark which way it was in too..
2.5 is a good height and comfortable....remember playing with your saddle may attract bees....LOL

Last edited:
I've seen quite a few old Kamaka ukes. The only structural problems I've seen were caused by clumsy humans or water damage. Suggest you focus on enjoying it and let the Kamaka factory worry about structural integrity.
Miguel

Thanks Guys,
I really love this one, and the Martin is my wife's. It's passed the one week test, and I've had ukes and guitars back at Fedex in less than one hour....LOL! There will be three of us playing ukulele tonight, so we should have some fun passing around the Kamaka.

Top Bottom