Hmmm what do you think ?

Sharru Nada

Reaction score
Wanted to discuss something that kind of bothers me.

A lot of people whom I talked with about getting my first Ukulele, advised me that I should start with a guitar and then pass on to playing an Ukulele or they said that I should start with a very cheap ukulele .

I think they are all wrong in my opinion, because: 1) I don't like guitars.
2) there is a big difference between a cheap ukulele and a bit normal ukulele [Pono MT (what I am going to purchase)] in the tones, and if I won't enjoy playing on the cheap ukulele I won't play at all.

What do you think :cheers: ?

Aloha

I personally wouldn't start on guitar if you don't like guitars. There is some transfer between the two, and the use is essentially a small guitar, but unless you want to play Bari, I'd start on uke.

I own a pono mt, and I love it. If you know that's what you want and have the money, go for it. However, if you've never played uke or are even a little bit unsure you want to invest that much money, there are good quality "cheap" ukes that play well And sound good. You can get a professionally set up kala tenor for just over $100. You could get a Luna for a little more or an ohana for a little more than that. Also, even if you do get the pono, if you plan on taking your uke camping or to the beach, rtc., you might want a cheaper "beater" uke that you don't mind exposing to the elements.

Play the instrument you want to play and get the best instrument you can. Anybody who tells you any different is not somebody you want to put much faith in.

John

Play the instrument you want to play and get the best instrument you can. Anybody who tells you any different is not somebody you want to put much faith in.

John

A M E N !!!!!:agree:
We got a winner!

A lot of people whom I talked with about getting my first Ukulele, advised me that I should start with a guitar and then pass on to playing an Ukulele or they said that I should start with a very cheap ukulele .

2) there is a big difference between a cheap ukulele and a bit normal ukulele [Pono MT (what I am going to purchase)] in the tones, and if I won't enjoy playing on the cheap ukulele I won't play at all.

Aloha

I think you should always do what others tell you to do.

I've played guitar for almost 50 years, but in the last 20 or more I've barely applied myself to it. June 2013 I bought a cheap uke just on a whim. I started playing and it took about a week for me realize it's not good enough. I then got completely caught up in UAS and bought 6 more in the next couple of months, all lower-mid end models. Within a couple of months I got that much better and realized only a couple of those ukes were good enough. I traded three of them for a really nice Kala.

The moral of the story is, even though playing guitar did help me play the uke, it's absolutely not necessary, and buy the better uke, don't go through the gyrations I did.

John

That olde phart knows what he's talking about.

What John said up top is your answer. Buy a uke. Buy the best you can. Play it often.

My local shop has this to say about cheap instruments - it's aimed at guitars, but applies equally to ukuleles. The main takeaway:

Beginners need better guitars than experienced players, but sadly, they seldom get them. That is often why beginners quit. This is not a trick to get you to buy a better guitar than you need, it's just a fact. An experienced player can mash down the strings on almost any piece of junk and allow for its defects. A beginner has tender fingers, and underdeveloped muscles. An experienced player knows where unwanted buzzes are coming from and can compensate. A beginner is usually prone to string buzz, because he/she is not clear if the cause is bad technique or a bad (or badly adjusted) instrument. It's no fun playing a guitar that buzzes when you don't want it to, and it makes practice less effective if you have to wrestle with your fretboard.

I'll mind your money for you.

I'll start you fingering a bare broom handle then add one string.

As an extra incentive,I will keep your money if you do not get it right.

Last edited:
The universal student uke

The universal student uke seems to be the Dolphin.

It is better than the price indicates because they use a cheaper to make high tech plastic sound box (wood front plastic back).

Schools around here buy them in quantity and teachers recommend them.

Melbourne (Australia) has sold out of them and all the shops have them on back-order.

I have no idea how much extra you have to pay for something a lot better. I bought a second hand (but still new) Lanikai pineapple.

I am a battler but I know mine sounds different to my mates Dolphin but he can play better than I can. They change the strings on the Dolphin and the Lanikai comes with Aquilla strings.

Maybe a Dolphin should be exhibit "A" in every collection.

Everyone's journey is different. Do what you want to do, not what other people wanted to do when they started their own journeys.

The main thng, IMO, in any stringed instrument is the feel of the neck and action. It is extremelly important you buy from a business that does a setup before you getting it. I think improper setups on cheap instruments are the primary reason people quit trying to learn the instrument. This forum highly recommends places like Mims, Uke Repubic, HMS etc., as places to buy from. They are members here and do great setups before shipping.

Like Mike, I've played guitar for well over 50 years and picked up a uke a couple of years ago. For me, it's really a fun instrument and much, much easier to learn than guitar. You could be playing simple chords and songs in less than an hour of starting. With a guitar, it would take much longer just to get the hang of the chord shape.

The uke has changed my life and brought back the joy of playing music. I trust it will do the same for you/

John

This. In spades.

/thread.

Hear what people tell you, but listen to your instinct & wants.

Personally, I started with a Kala concert, and very quickly realized that I didn't like the sound or feel and took the money I had saved for a vacation and bought a Kanilea tenor. I am happy with the choice I made every day that I play.

I have heard the same thing for lessons.
I have a hard time finding an ukulele teacher where I live, and people tell me to take guitar lessons instead. But I'm stubborn, I don't want to learn the guitar, I want to learn the ukulele. I have finally found a person who could give me ukulele lessons, now all I have to do is track him down and beg for lessons.
When you know what you want, it makes life a lot easier. (though I'd love to become a billionaire and still haven't figured that one out yet...)

If you're interested in an ukulele ... by all means, start out with an ukulele! No need to start out with a different instrument. Guitars and ukuleles are related, but they are also two unique instruments in their own right.

As for choosing the right first ukulele ... try out as many as you can. If your choices are limited, do lots of searches. Buy the one that fits your budget, fits your hands and fingers ... and (most important) ... find one that sings to you. You know what music you want to make. If the ukulele is right for you, you will hear it.

Aloha

I would buy a decent ukulele. My preference would be a solid wood uke. (Flea or flukes are good too)
My first GCEA uke was a solid mahogany concert Bushman Jenny, I played it all the time till I sat on it by accident. If I would have bought a really Cheap uke, I would have replaced it soon after and spent more money.
For the number of hours of entertainment you get out of an instrument, buying a good solid quality one makes sense. Just remember at some point all you are paying for is bling. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Even though John already stated it eloquently, I will still chime in....

Why would you buy a guitar if you don't want one? I have no clue how to play the guitar. I have never had any interest in learning. BUT..the ukulele is captivating! I LOVE it. I would say not to buy too cheap of an ukulele. You'll just end up buying another one really quickly. Probably..... :) And, really, you don't wanna go down THAT road.

Top Bottom