Schaller GrandTune

AndrewKuker

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has tried these new tuners from Schaller - LINK
"With its cutting edge Velvet-Tec* technology..." lol, marketing department went to town on these, but they look really nice....

Not keen on the copper, personally. It just looks to me like the fake "copper effect" finish that manufacturers apply to modern items such as kitchen and bath taps and table lamps, and looks really false to me. I like the black and the gunmetal grey ones though. I'm happy to be a guinea pig and try a set on my Kanile'a if someone wants to sent me a set ;)

Looks to me like someone is a bit envious of all those Grover Sta-tite cast base tuners being sold for after-market use.

Since I usually retro-fit to get rid of cast metal buttons anyhow I think I'll stay with $40 Grovers, they are a great tuner.

Slothead11928.jpg

Last edited:
They're guitar tuners which means a thicker headstock. I think 18:1 gear ratio is a bit extreme even for guitar tuners. We already have Grovers and Waverly's, both of which work great for their price. I wouldn't use unless the client had to have them for their guitar, never on a uke, I can't stand ears.

Last edited:
I got burnt on Shaller open gear tuners years ago, the only so-called "high grade" tuner that consistantly slipped in normal use.
They are pretty, I hope they are good, but the market is not exactly begging for another tuner.

I think 18:1 gear ratio is a bit extreme even for guitar tuners.

I'm with Duane here. 18:1 is pretty bad already but I once had those gotoh 510 deltas which are 21:1 on a guitar. Took me a year and a lot of cussing to bring the strings up to pitch!

Top Bottom