Grovers for my Islander

DoubleATRC

Reaction score
Aloha! I recently purchased my first A/E ukulele, an Islander MT-4-GPU. It's a really nice uke, sounds incredible both acoustic and plugged in, and I got a really good deal on it :D
When I got it home, I noticed some buzzing on the open C and it seemed to be caused by the tuners. I tightened and loosened some screws but could not get it to stop buzzing. As a matter of fact, the stock closed gear tuners were a bit loose on the headstock and when I tightened them down, the buzz got dramatically worse.
I began thinking back to when I bought my first ukulele about a year ago (an Islander AT-4) and the reason I didn't go with an A/E; because I wanted to be able take it to the beach without worrying about sand getting into the electronics. I also have this fear of sand getting into open geared tuners which is why I didn't go with the Islander MT-4 or the Cordoba 20TM-CE. So if I'm not going to take my new uke to the beach, why not upgrade the tuners??
I did some research and decided on Grover 9GWs. I thought the gold would really pop on the headstock and look much more classy than the stock chrome tuning pegs. I went with the white buttons hoping they'd be a little more off-white/bone and would really match the binding. I couldn't be happier with the results!
I purchased them through Amazon from a company called Total Music Source for about $25 + $5 shipping. I ordered them on Wednesday night around 11pm Eastern time and they were shipped the next morning. I got them in the mail today (less than 60 hours after ordering, and without amazon prime!) and decided to tackle the project of installing them myself.
I'm no luthier by any means but I have a fair amount of experience with the mechanics of instruments, as well as experience using tools in general. I documented the whole process, take a look at the before during and after photo link below and let me know what you think!

Photos1.jpgPhotos2.jpgPhotos3.jpgPhotos4.jpgPhotos5.jpg

I'm no luthier either, but I'm thinking that your buzz is more likely a problem with the nut slot than the tuner. If you bought it locally, the store where you got it should either fix it or give you another of the same model uke. If it was mail order things may be more complicated, but I'd talk to the store or seller and see what they can do for you.

Oops, wrote my reply before I realized that you already replaced the tuners! I hope it fixed your problem.

Top Bottom