Season 116: THE OLD SONG SALESMEN

H

Hippie Dribble

Welcome along to the new season gang.

Your challenge - and enjoyment -this week is to mine the deep well of wonderful songwriters from the jazz age in America. Specifically, that fabled area of railroad flats around 28th and Broadway in New York City where the music publishers were clustered.

From around 1895 until WWII music became big business. Many of the greatest popular songwriters wrote for mass consumption and their success on Broadway, on film, on radio, advertising, the dancehalls, parlors, cafes and musical theatre created an industrial folk music.

So this week is the music of Tin Pan Alley and the old song salesmen.

Whilst not always the case, this particular article from Wikipedia is an excellent introductory resource and well worth a read as you begin this week's journey:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_Pan_Alley

Please submit no more than three entries as otherwise my head will explode. Please only submit new recordings and state somewhere in your video the season and name of the songwriter. (I say that only because when most of these tunes were written, almost no-one knew nor cared who these songwriters were - though everyone carried their melodies around in their heads. This week is really about them - to honour, celebrate and recognise them, to give credit where credit is due). I will smile widely if you dress in threads of the period. I have a wonderful book for the winning entrant. A little something for the runner-up. And kind words and backslaps for everyone else.

Any other questions please post in the thread. Please let me know if I've neglected to mention anything.

Hope you have fun with the theme everyone. Pretty much every enduring popular standard was written during this period, as well as some fabulous kooky, cheesy and gloriously politically incorrect songs.

x

THE OLD SONG SALESMEN: The music of Tin Pan Alley

Last edited:
Woohoo! This is right up my alley, so to speak............now to pick a tune or two...... Nice theme, eugene!

Already have an idea or two for this. Actually gonna pull one of the songs I was planning for 115 to play here. X3

I am going to submit 25 entries because I want your head to explode. This is gonna be fun!

I can't wait to see what everyone cooks up for the week. We all know Jon's expertise and artistry in this area so I expect everyone to bring their "A" game and knock his socks off. Jon, better wear some garters!!

Woohoo! This is right up my alley, so to speak............now to pick a tune or two...... Nice theme, eugene!

Fun fun fun!! Yes indeed - this is my kind of music! The challenge this week will be deciding which three to pick - there are SO many good songs from this era. Thanks for this wonderful theme.
Still immersed in Season 115 till tomorrow (I have a great song I'm working on for BEVOMU). Then it's off to Tin Pan Alley!

This is an excellent theme and I can't wait to record some of these songs! Great music custom made for ukulele!

This will be a fantastic week. So much to choose from and I love this stuff! Cant wait to see what people bring:)

Question~
Jon, Are we talking 1885-1930's or are we taking it to the 50's?

Awesome theme Jon. Don't nany songs from this period but I certainly know the sound and I love it!

This is the first time I've managed to find and record a new song, with only a couple of takes, and have it ready and uploaded BEFORE I'm allowed to post it! Haha, 30 mins to go, think i'll treat myself to a good breakfast :D

Gotta agree with my fellow youngster Ryan though (I was 7 when Britney's song came out, haha) - don't know many of the songs but it's certainly gunna be a fun season :)

Last edited:
Woke up this morning, checked the season, grabbed a green top, a nice hat, my uke and was straight in with no messing around this week :)
frog.jpg

This Tin Pan Alley song was originally written in 1899 by the team of Joseph E. Howard and Ida Emerson (Howard and Emerson), first recorded by Arthur Collins [Thanks Wiki] and if I'm lucky (and Bevs in a good mood) will be my first entry to S116 and last to S115, Yeah Baby ;)

More famously to me on One Froggy Evening (1955) sung by Michigan J. Frog and REALLY I first heard this song in the cult film Spaceballs as an alien bursts from a gentlemans chest and performs the number across a bar, so yeah!

Jess' mouth kazoo is much better than mine, and yes, it was 9:30am and we were still in bed

:)
Enjoy!

095e702c02078e5a7fd8839aaca43f2d.jpg

I've got one that I have already started work on as it dovetailed nicely with the one I did for 114. :^)
I do need to do week 115 today :^)

Is it only American Tin Pan Alley /Vaudeville songs or can us Whingeing Poms bring some of our Olde Tyme Music Hall Songs of the same era to the table as well ?

You lads and lasses (Bruces and Sheilas ? Monty Python circa '70's) musta had some of your own Music Hall stuff going on as well .......?

Just to be clear , cos there is a bigger sack of stuff to be delved into if the season is not to be based on just good Ole Uncle Sam's Songs....

If it is to be limited to US Tin Pan Alley, well fair do's...just a thought . I don't have many ......not sensible ones ....be gentle.

Is it only American Tin Pan Alley /Vaudeville songs or can us Whingeing Poms bring some of our Olde Tyme Music Hall Songs of the same era to the table as well ?

You lads and lasses (Bruces and Sheilas ? Monty Python circa '70's) musta had some of your own Music Hall stuff going on as well .......?

Just to be clear , cos there is a bigger sack of stuff to be delved into if the season is not to be based on just good Ole Uncle Sam's Songs....

If it is to be limited to US Tin Pan Alley, well fair do's...just a thought . I don't have many ......not sensible ones ....be gentle.
I've kinda always viewed Tin Pan Alley as an Era/style of music rather than a geographical one (rightly or wrongly).........it has an unmissable nostalgic ring to it that when you hear or play it you know exactly where it belongs !!

Nice theme Jon, its a long time coming on here !!

Top Bottom