What to paint on the sides of this uke.

justinlcecil

Reaction score
So I recently started painting on a uke I bought specifically to paint on. My first painting on anything other than canvas or panel. I love the way it has turned out. I have gone with a sea theme on this one, but can't for the life of me think of what to paint on the sides of it. I could leave them black I suppose, or just paint more waves and such. I've considered things like one of the men on the sunken ship reaching out of the water/drowning...etc. So I ask for your help brainstorming. The back of the uke is finished. The blues in the water will really pop after I varnish it. The front is still a ways from being done. IMG_0925.jpgIMG_0927.jpg

A 360° tropical coastline.

I don't really have a suggestion for you, but awesome work. Are you going to varnish the back as well to protect it? I could see it rubbing off over time given the plastic back of the flea. Once again, nice job.

Horizontal planks and port holes, like the sides of a ship?

The whole body will be varnished. I prepped the body beforehand to better accept the paint as well (sanding). Great suggestions so far folks. I have considered leaving the sides black, But it just seems lacking to me. The bottom of the uke could stand to be painted as well.

Jesus Christ, you're Rembrandt!

I'm not kidding!

(Some clam shells and seahorses on the side would be nice.)

Moby dick. Giant squid. Coral reef. Dugong.

Those are some good ideas. I'm not sure about da gong, though, since this is a seascape themed uke. A gong just seems very, I don't know, Chinese to me. And more on land, like at the Emperor's house or something.

I think a seahorse or two would be nice. Or maybe a manatee!

Great painting! How about some rope or sailors' knots of rope?

Petey

Not exactly my taste but clearly very nice work. Just curious, what was the "donor" uke? Are you planning on taking commissions?

Your work is amazing. Amazing! How about the calm after the storm.... paradise found...

I have also considered whales. The rope would be pretty cool I think. My original intent was to tell a bit of a story. Mermaids have the ability to conjure up storms. So in my eyes, somebody on one of those ships offended the mermaid in some way. So she created the storm which sank the ships. On the front you have her near the wreckage a ship feeling a bit of remorse maybe. Well remorse kind of turned into seduction. I've been tossing around the idea of small boat out at sea. Carrying what's left of the crew. I have also considered painting reminiscent of the Pieta or Death of Marat laying on the shore.

Top Bottom