Music theory for ukulele players

ichadwick

Reaction score
Any recommendations for books, websites, podcasts, videos or tutorials on learning music theory?

I want to learn more, and improve my music reading skills, too.

I'm curious to know what level of theory are you working on right now?

I've been playing guitar since the mid-1960s. I understand basic theory and can read music rather slowly. I can't sight read and need to refer to charts for things like key signatures. I recognize notes by timing and rests by timing. I need to put it all together and improve both theory and by reading speed.

I have a simple graphic for teaching key signatures, or the circle of 5ths (or going the opposite direction, the circle of 4ths)

C - all natural
F - Bb
Bb - Bb Eb
Eb - Bb Eb Ab
Ab - Bb Eb Ab Db
Db - Bb Eb Ab Db Gb
Gb - Bb Eb Ab Db Gb Cb
B - F# C# G# D# A#
E - F# C# G# D#
A - F# C# G#
D - F# C#
G - F#
Key - whats in the signature

Using this diagram, start from the top, C, and count four letters, you get F, the next key.

Starting from the bottom, G, count up five letters and you get D, the next key going in that direction.

In the middle, remember that the key of Gb is the same exact thing as the key of F#. They are the same exact note, just named two different ways. Played at the exact same spots on the fretboard.

The order of sharps and flats will help you remember Keys. The first sharp will always be F#, second will always be C#, then G# and so on.

The order of flats operates in the same way. You always start with Bb, then Eb, then Ab and so on.

If you remove sharps, they come off in the same order. Four flats will always be Bb Eb Ab Db. Remove one and go to three flats, you will always lose the Db.

So, if you can memorize the order of the flats, and then memorize the keys, you will always know the key of D major has 2 sharps, and the first two sharps are F# and C#.

The key of Eb major has three flats and those are always Bb, Eb, and Ab. And here's a tip, that last flat will give you your next flat key signature, Ab.

I'm not sure if I'm helping at all. This is how I teach it to my clarinet/flute/alto students.

Last edited:
To increase sight reading ability, start learning a major scale, C, which has no sharps or flats. If you memorize the scale, you memorize the key. Memorize it on the fretboard, and be able to name each note as you play it, up and back down. Also play the arpeggio (which is the root, third, fifth, and octave) and name it as you play. And look at the notes on a staff as you play.

Then play an easy piece of music in that same exact key. Once you master the easy tune, pick a more challenging tune in that key. And so on...

Pick the next scale and learn it (maybe either G major or F major). Do music in that key the same way.

It is a slow process, but you only have to learn it once. Once you learn the C major scale (and key), you will always have it.

One thing that irks me, is that I can't find anything that has the scales done in tab with the actual music notation above, so you can plot it on your fret board and see it on the musical staff at the exact same time. This would be of great help in learning scales/keys.

I would like to have this for major, minor and all the modes.

If anyone knows where I can get this - purchase or free download - please let me know. If I had the software, I'd write it out myself and make it available.

Ian wrote
I've been playing guitar since the mid-1960s. I understand basic theory and can read music rather slowly. I can't sight read and need to refer to charts for things like key signatures. I recognize notes by timing and rests by timing. I need to put it all together and improve both theory and by reading speed

A couple of years ago I could have written this almost word for word to describe my abilities, then I taught myself to play whistle and recorder (they're really very similar) and spent a few weeks working through the most basic of beginners tutorial books ... and learnt to read music, at least sufficiently well to decide whether or not I wanted to learn a tune or not.
I found I could apply this new-found ability to my guitar with little difficulty as my fingers already "knew" where the notes were, just hadn't known what to call them ;)
Since then I've applied this approach to mandolin, banjo and ukulele with a suprising (for me) degree of success.

My point is, bite the bullet and sit down for half an hour or so each day, with your instrument of choice, and work through the very basics ... scales and basic melodies. The descant (soprano) recorder plays from C up, so any basic recorder tutorial can provide an excellent source of material to "get you started" on the ukulele, and are available second-hand from the "usual sources" for virtually nothing + p&p

Once you can read a few tunes "from the page" the world is your oyster :)

Unfortunately (some may think otherwise) much ukulele material is published only in "tab", so as much of an anathema as it may have seemed to me, I've learnt to deal with that as well and can recommend the concept as an extra "string to the bow" ... reading conventional music score gives me a much wider range of source material to choose from :)

Good luck !

the complete musician, steven laitz. time put in on theory is time well spent.

One thing that irks me, is that I can't find anything that has the scales done in tab with the actual music notation above, so you can plot it on your fret board and see it on the musical staff at the exact same time. This would be of great help in learning scales/keys.

I would like to have this for major, minor and all the modes.

If anyone knows where I can get this - purchase or free download - please let me know. If I had the software, I'd write it out myself and make it available.

Like this? http://liveukulele.com/tabs/scales/ I haven't had time to update them all to Guitar Pro, but the information should be there.

Jenny: Do you have any of this in PDF format? I want to share material with the local ukulele group.

I have it scribbled out on the back of some clarinet music, LOL, but I can get it in the computer for you. One of the things I've found, is that it helps for people to actually write it out - go through each key and add on time after time. It seems to "stick" it in the brain a lot quicker.

Once my students have memorized those first 12 major scales (some really hate doing it, but it has to be done), things start to make sense, and their reading ability goes through the roof. I can throw just about any key at them and they an sight read better.

Unfortunately (some may think otherwise) much ukulele material is published only in "tab",...
I have a few thousand songs in old song sheets and books that I want to learn to sight read with proficiency, not my usual hunt-n-peck method.

Top Bottom