Rubin ukes? Tom Uke?

dog8food

Reaction score
So I've heard that China's musical instrument manufacturers are getting smarter and creating some quality products at fraction prices. I just ordered a Rubin Concert ukulele with electric pick-up for $70. Aquila strings, close geared tuners, zebrawood, etc... I've heard a few positive reviews on it, but nothing on here yet.

I'm also about to try a $38 TUP-200 Tom pocket uke.

If anyone has some feedback about either of these, please share.

I got nothing, but very interesting that the Chinese are gaining steam in so many markets, ukulele included.

There's a guy in the meetup group I go to who bought a soprano Rubin from ebay and was so pleased with it he also ordered a concert.

I got to try it briefly... looked pretty well made and with a pickup for $50 shipped (many Chinese/Asian sellers charge a small fortune for shipping) it seemed like a real bargain.

I've got the Tom pocket uke. I love it. Especially considering how cheap it is. It's not the best looking uke but it plays in tune with acceptable intonation and the tone is really nice for a pocket ukulele. It sounds better than the Ohana sopranino I tried.
If you restring it with Martin m600s it sounds best, much better than the faux aquillas it comes with.
And mine also came unexpectedly with a gigbag, electronic tuner, capo, plectrums and spare strings!! A bit of an odd combination of freebies but a couple of them were useful.
I have heard they are hit and miss though so I might've got lucky!

I actually just ordered the Pocket Rubin Uke http://www.ebay.com/itm/261448485542 a few days ago. I had trouble finding any information on the company/any detailed reviews of the quality so was a bit skeptical, but for $40 I thought it would be worth giving it the old college try. I'll reply to this post with some pictures and a review. If the pocket uke is made well and looks as good as it does online I may just end up with one of the electrics. Now to wait the 15-30 estimated shipping time! BTW, first post!

I have a feeling the pocket uke is laminate. There are two options for the soprano size of this model, one laminate and one solid top so my guess is that the pocket is laminate. If they mention that one is solid top then I would imagine they'd tout it on any solid top in the line. No evidence though, just my opinion.

I have a feeling the pocket uke is laminate. There are two options for the soprano size of this model, one laminate and one solid top so my guess is that the pocket is laminate. If they mention that one is solid top then I would imagine they'd tout it on any solid top in the line. No evidence though, just my opinion.
Agreed. For the most part, if it doesn't say it's solid, you can assume it's laminate. No one really touts laminate as being a selling point.

I've got the Tom pocket uke. I love it. Especially considering how cheap it is. It's not the best looking uke but it plays in tune with acceptable intonation and the tone is really nice for a pocket ukulele. It sounds better than the Ohana sopranino I tried.
If you restring it with Martin m600s it sounds best, much better than the faux aquillas it comes with.
And mine also came unexpectedly with a gigbag, electronic tuner, capo, plectrums and spare strings!! A bit of an odd combination of freebies but a couple of them were useful.
I have heard they are hit and miss though so I might've got lucky!

Thanks for the post. Might be worth picking up for $40, even if I don't get as lucky as you :cool:

photo 2.jpgphoto 1.jpg

I just got my Rubin Pocket Uke a few days ago. I purchased it on May 2 and it arrived on May 15, so pretty quick from China (with no shipping cost!). They packaged the uke well in a small triangle box that was surrounded by styrofoam. After a few days with it I'd say that I'm happy with the purchase. Here are some initial thoughts after strumming it for while.

First off, it's tiny! I knew it would be, but it really sunk in when I picked it up and starting playing it. I took a picture of it next to my Tenor Kala for a bit of scale.

I have to say that this uke looks almost identical to the pictures shown on eBay, which I find very attractive. I was slightly worried I'd open the box to see an approximated toy version inside. Luckily it's a real ukulele (or real enough to justify the $40). A few quick thoughts on the construction. There is a light gloss finish on all wood parts (laminate), and I'm pretty sure the Aquila strings are actually Aquila (which I suppose is good or bad depending on if you like em, it seems some people on the board aren't the biggest fan of Aquila). The saddle and nut are predictably plastic. The saddle is a bit high, making the action just a touch high as well. Other than trying to fit all of my fingers into a scrunched chord the neck actually feels pretty good. The frets are smooth on the sides of the neck, and the neck is straight. The tuners seem decent as I haven't had any serious slipping issues (I've had to tune it quite a bit, but I attribute that to new Aquila strings and the size of it, I feel I'll be tuning it a couple times every time I play it).

As for the sound...it's actually pretty good! It's obviously a little thin what with the higher tuning and extremely small body, but it's got a nice tone to it.

My biggest issue with the uke is the intonation. When playing a combination of open notes and fretted notes past say, the fifth or so fret, the issue becomes apparent. But, eh, forty bucks. Hopefully the company is able to ethically treat the builders.

So there's my quick two cents on the whole "Rubin" ukulele situation. For $40 you can certainly a get much, much worse product. I'm glad I bought a cheap pocket uke and not the Kala, because while I think I'm going to have a lot of fun with this little guy, I wouldn't be able to justify spending $175 for something that I feel is at least kind of gimmicky. I'm still interested in playing one of their aco/electric solid tops to see if they are worth the money. If I get some time I'll do a quick recording to give everyone an idea of what's up, and hopefully throw up a couple more pictures with different angles. Cheers I hope this wasn't too talky and helps anyone interested in this mysterious company!

I have the Tom thin body tenor uke from Amazon and I have to say I am very pleased with it. I've been playing it for about six weeks nearly every day. The build quality is very good and the intonation is spot on. I wouldn't hesitate to order another Tom uke.

photo 2.jpgphoto 1.jpgphoto 3.jpg

Just another couple of pics. Cheers! The Tom thin tenor looks really cool! Must...resist...buying more...

Last edited:
it's just TOO cute!

I await delivery, to my home in Hawaii, of a Rubin solid-spruce-top tenor. The tracking showed delivery by China Post to USPS at San Francisco, where it has been sitting for 7 days. No wonder FedEx & UPS are taking more & more of the parcel business away from USPS.

Same sort of slowness holds true for Media Mail packages (books & so forth) shipped via USPS from continental U.S.A. to Hawaii. They usually reach the Richmond CA USPS in a reasonable amount of time. But then the packages often sit there for 2-3 weeks before they are released to Hawaii. Worst case -- I ordered a book 3 weeks before Christmas. After a month without delivery, the seller gave me a refund. The package reached me Feb. 17. Good grief! (I then paid the seller, much to his amazement.)

As for the Rubin -- I have my fingers crossed. I hope it's as good-for-the-$ as you folks have experienced.

(By the way, I asked the Rubin guy if he sells baritones. His "No!" reply was more than a little stand-offish. Hmmm... wonder why?)

Give them a try if few tens of US dollar not too hard to spare.

In these countries (i.e. China, Vietnam, etc...) a dollar would allow a worker live a day. Another few dollars would cover the wood & materials. This is not a miracle to make it happened with such low price. The product could be ok. Do not worry.

Yet the workers' education & technique levels are very low. The most expensive cost, is to keep things controlled. Thats why every buy has the risk. The rate of blemish could be high.

The tom pocket is stupidly cheap at the moment in UK.. Something like £23 posted. My early one is still the one that gets thrown In the car and it does seem to play beyond its means. I wonder whether it will improve with fluorocarbons or whether it's better with the oversize Aquila.
I think that it would be perfect for school groups starting young... They would fit in book bags and could be tuned GCEA.. A bit floppy... For when they start out with chords.
(It is also a good size for playing trampoline ukulele with the kids... Bouncing music with the occasional use of it as a comedy bottom slapper.)

The Rubin Tenor arrived today, after 8 days in SF. Pristine condition. It's a rather small tenor -- more like an oversized concert actually. Very bright sound. Action & intonation A+. I like it enough to give it to somebody, but not enough to keep it for long. Excellent value for the $$, now that the postal rates from China have become VERY cheap (in some cases).

I may have found another uke to paint on. =) Thanks for sharing it.

The Rubin Tenor arrived today, after 8 days in SF. Pristine condition. It's a rather small tenor -- more like an oversized concert actually. Very bright sound. Action & intonation A+. I like it enough to give it to somebody, but not enough to keep it for long. Excellent value for the $$, now that the postal rates from China have become VERY cheap (in some cases).

Any thoughts on how the pickup sounds? I am feeling like I want a tenor to add to my (small and inexpensive) collection, but I play out a bit and love he idea of another AE uke.

Top Bottom