what should I buy

ukestarter

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am looking at getting a ukulele and have never gotten one before. I was looking at buying Lankikai Lu22cgc concert ukulele from Guitar Center. After watching a video on youtube I thought it sounded pretty good. My question is whether or not the LU22cgc is a good ukulele for me as a starter or should i look at something else?

Thanks for the help

Welcome, I'm sure lots of folks will come on (far more knowledable than me) and tell you buy from someone who can do a proper set up on the uke. An expensive uke that is not set up sounds just as bad as a cheap one,my first Makala Dolphin wasn't set up and it nearly put me off ukes, it's now set up better. Search set up on here lots of info.
Good luck, Graham

Good place to start is here: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?69058-Info-Thread-Entry-Level-Ukuleles

Go to the GC and hold different ukes to see which one feels best in your hands, then order one "properly set up" from one of the many, reputable, online dealers such as MIMS, Uke Republic, HawaiiMusicSupply, KPK and of course Mainland. Also, keep an eye out in the Marketplace here on UU for some unbeatable deals on some great, previously loved ukes. FleamarketMusic Marketplace has some great deals too. Many members are happy with their Lanikai ukes. Good luck.

+1 on getting your uke properly set up.
Holding a uke in the store is good for getting the feel and determining what size you might want (soprano, concert, or tenor). That FAQ that was posted might also help with that. Also, check out vids of different sizes and brands of ukuleles on Youtube to make sure it is the look and sound you want.

However, I wouldn't recommend buying the uke in a brick and mortar store unless they are a uke specialty store and/or do set up. A cheap uke that is set up right can sound and play amazingly and serve you well for years. Good luck!

I recently bought my first uke online. I went with a Luna but I would definitely recommend getting it set up properly. After the set up and a change of new strings it sounded a million times better and was much easier to play. I had it set up at a local guitar shop but it wasn't Guitar Center.

My first uke was a starter Lanikai. It's a decent instrument set up.

I have learned that a properly set up instrument can make all the difference.

Check out "theukulelesite" They do excellent set up and have some starter models.

I'll second the fact that you should work with someone who can set it up so the uke can be the best it can be.

Guitar center is more about guitar's then ukulele's. I wouldn't trust a setup there unless they have someone who has a good reputation for setting up ukulele's. Or you just go for it and try it and see how the one you buy sounds. You may get lucky.

I got a makala dophin on amazon and its never been setup and it seems fine, and my other 3 expensive instruments are all setup properly by pro's. I think I just got lucky :)

For your first ukulele I personally think anything over $200 is going to be a nice ukulele, some would say anything over $120-ish is good. I think its important to invest in a nice instrument when you are starting out. It makes learning easier.

So I would say spend a little more, and order online for Hawaii Music Supply (the most well known and I have ordered from them) or Fan Guitar & Ukulele (where I buy mine setup really well by the owner, small shop with personal attention), Mim's has a great rep on here, Uke Republic has a great rep on here.

A solid wood ukulele is better then the laminent top ones, imho. A concert size is a nice happy medium for a first ukulele.

If you really have to go cheap get a Makala Dolphin and have it setup. Save yourself the $30 for your NEXT ukulele which will be much nicer :)

Top Bottom