First time playing for a crowd

BigD

Reaction score
I work at an assisted living facility that houses around thirty or so residents from 65 and up. Were a very tight knit group of workers there one of my childhood friends is the head cook who got me a job. Besides the point but our activities director explained to us that she was throwing the residents a luau party and what she would need for snacks etc etc.. well our manager told her i play the uke and she asked if i would so i said sure!! It was honestly a great time and felt really good! I didnt really play anything specific,just more or less some background music lol they all enjoyed it and its just nice taking out some time to help other people. especially with something you truelly care about as well! Its also fun hearing all their stories, theres not many people who sit and listen to them and these kinda of stories from these kind of people will be all but gone before you know it. Kind of a scatter-brained post but there ya go! Also if you ever have any reservations about playing in front of a group of people, contact your local nursing homes and assisted living facilities. They are so appreciative that you even take time out of your day for them, and more than likely be a great crowd! Good karma!

Good on you!
Sounds like it was fun for you and fun for them - win/win!

Thanks for posting. I will be doing my first "mini concert" for a group of seniors soon and have been a little nervous about it. I'm still struggling with not having to be "perfect" to be appreciated.

As sad as it is a lot of those folks dont have many people visit them on the regular. Its not that they dont have loving families they just cant be around as much as theyd like and anytime someone takes time from their own day to visit/entertain/ just be with them is a big deal. Ive heard some great stories from these folks as well, one older man probably 90 told me the first instrument he picked up was a ukulele when he was stationed in hawaii, and was telling me about the good ole days of Arthur Godfrey. He couldnt remember what kind of uke he played tho, i was very curious what he got for what kinda price in those days! But it wasa good time all around!

I think that is wonderful! One of our uke club members has a mom in assisted living, and our group plans to play there. You won't have a more appreciative or kinder audience! I hope you do it again soon!!!

And yes, it is important to perform and share your music with people. You don't have to be perfect. Beethoven is quoted as saying to miss a note is unimportant, but to play without passion is inexcusable. I agree - get passionate and share it!!!

Fun for all! We get as much enjoyment from it as the audience does!

Folks in any one of the various retirement communities are the best audiences!

Even if you really screw up, no big deal.

Way to go! I played for some residents of a ALF the other day....some of them sang along....ifit hadn't been hot outside, where we were, I'd have kept going a lot longer....yesterday I was invited to play with an over 70 (I'm not over 70, LOL) band for our church, after service....I'm excited!

I'm in a ukulele group that plays assisted living homes and adult day care centers. Only been doing it for a year or so. We play a lot of oldies and some that they can sing along to. We enjoy it as much as they do. Gives us an excuse to get together to practice and improve our performance skills.

I'm in a ukulele group that plays assisted living homes and adult day care centers. Only been doing it for a year or so. We play a lot of oldies and some that they can sing along to. We enjoy it as much as they do. Gives us an excuse to get together to practice and improve our performance skills.
I love playing in front of people even if it is sitting on a bench in the park or in front of a store (not even busking). I think it makes you a better player than playing without an audience because you end up playing the entire song, you don't stop if you mess up, you play with more feeling, you get used to distractions, and you learn how to play and carry on a conversation. I think there is a tendency when practicing by yourself to get sloppy, at least for me. For sure when you are initially learning something you don't want to torture folks, I guess that's where the term "wood shedding" comes from, you need to do that sort of practice out back in the wood shed.

I have a list of sing-a-longs and a small lyrics booklet that I use quite often for groups.
We did a gig for the "friends of the library" last Sunday and everyone enjoys singing.
Simple songs that everyone knows.
Ain't She Sweet, Sweet Georgia Brown, Five Foot Two, Hey Good Looking, Bill Bailey, Ain't Misbehavin', My Blue Heaven, Side by Side, You Are My Sunshine, Goodnight Irene.

Put you own song list and lyric sheet, and get out there and share the joy. Having the audience sing with you covers your flubs too.

Top Bottom