PDA

View Full Version : Question about open gear tuning pegs

Andy Chen
05-04-2014, 07:21 PM
Hi everyone, what is the screw in the centre of the cog used for? To tighten the gear?

dickadcock
05-05-2014, 03:15 AM
Hi everyone, what is the screw in the centre of the cog used for? To tighten the gear?
Yes, to tighten if needed. In 50 years of using stringed instruments, I can't recall needing to do that. Friction tuners, yes, but not gears.

Andy Chen
05-05-2014, 02:55 PM
Thanks! It's just that a peg seems loose, thought I should tighten it.

And I see you have a bunch of Kala laminates. Aren't they great? Good price, good tone.

Mrbell321
05-06-2014, 05:48 AM
It actually depends on the particular design(or perhaps just fit) of the tuner. I've seen 2 types. The most common I've seen is that the screw only connects the string post to the cog. It doesn't hurt to tighten it down(unless you strip something) and actually, if it's too loose it can cause the spur gear to come out of alignment with the worm gear and they damage each other.
I've also seen one set that if you tightened too much, the mounting plate is squeezed between the cog and string post making it difficult to turn.

So... if something seems loose, try tightening some, but don't strip anything. If things get harder to turn, you may want to back off.

Andy Chen
05-06-2014, 02:53 PM
That sounds like good advice, thanks!